Down to the last few teas from a big Leafhopper swap!

I cracked the seal on a 100g bag of this tea a few months ago. Only now am I getting around to a tasting note.

Bowl tea this morning, quickly becoming my preferred method!

This is a full single leaf with spare twigs in the mix. The large leaves are not balled so they are probably best prepared how I’m rolling this morning or western steeped in a basket infuser or a larger gaiwan. They will not fit in a tiny teapot with a small mouth, nor in a regular ball infuser.

The aroma is moderate, sweet and savory with baked butternut squash, golden raisins, baked apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and a little vanilla.

The taste of the tea is very similar, mostly as a result of the aroma. The only thing I can taste without breathing in the aroma is that Si Ji Chun (Four Seasons) cultivar-specific florality and some wood. I wonder if this is tea is made with that cultivar. The liquor is thick with pectin, buttery, sweet-tangy. When I sip and breath, I get an impression of a baked mixture of butternut squash, apples and rhubarb; thinned honey, overripe honeydew and wood. The finish is vaguely fruity and leaves an after-feeling of being pleasantly sour. In the aftertaste, I get mild fresh apple, grass, white grapes and apricot. My tongue is coated with a smooth, thin layer of oil. The flavor profile really speaks to me as an autumn afternooner.

I notice I don’t get the sweats from this tea like I have from pretty much all other GABA teas I’ve tried.

So, this tea is old, probably produced in 2015 or 2016. Luckily Leafhopper had the prudence to not break the seal :) This tea tastes just as fresh as any other GABA tea I’ve had. I’m impressed! Because I really enjoy GABA teas, the 100g bag will be an easy one to sip through. Thank you, Leafhopper!

Flavors: Apple, Apricot, Brown Sugar, Butter, Butternut Squash, Cinnamon, Flowers, Grass, Honey, Honeydew, Pleasantly Sour, Raisins, Rhubarb, Savory, Smooth, Sweet, Tangy, Thick, Vanilla, White Grapes, Wood

190 °F / 87 °C 3 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Leafhopper

I’m glad you’re happy with this tea and that it’s stood up so well. It might have sat in my cupboard for another six years if I hadn’t sent it to you! :)

Comments

Leafhopper

Tea became a hobby and my daily drink of choice some time late in the last decade. My introduction to loose leaf came in the form of dumpster-dived Wuyi oolong packets that somebody left upon moving out of an apartment building. From there, my palate expanded to teas from across China and the world. I used to focus more on taste and still harbor the habit, but after trying sheng pu’er, I tend to focus more on how a tea feels in my body. Does it complement my constitution? Does it change my mood or does it enhance my current mindstate? While I may not mention those effects in tea notes, it is what I value most. Flavored teas are not a favorite but I do drink them intermittently.

Sonoma County, California, USA