An aromatic, zesty, brisk cup of tea good for a mid-morning cup.

The dry leaf has those musky, spicy and floral notes I associate with Nepali teas, along with dark chocolate, prune and some crispy autumn leaves.

Steeped for several minutes with my baseline 3g:300mL and with hot water from the dispenser at work, the tea is rather geranium floral with a peppery, woody zip. Youthful comes to mind.

Steeped longer, say 5-6 minutes, with the same ratio and at home where I can appreciate the tea more, I notice the aroma: it’s spicy like the taste but with mellowed notes of cherries, dark chocolate, orange blossom and hazelnut.

I expected the brisk quality to become even more pronounced but it ended up filling in quite a bit. The taste mostly reminds me of the dark tannins of rosewood and straw, smoothed over with rich tobacco, dark chocolate and a touch of malt. A cherry candy note never gets too high and a tangy gooseberry tone keeps it from going full-on woody or tobacco.

Nepali teas remain to be a favorite of mine, not often drank but when the mood strikes I hope to have one around. Like this tea, the blacks from Nepal seem to embrace characteristics of both neighboring Darjeeling and Assam to the east.

Thanks for the sample, A Thirst for Tea :)

Flavors: Brisk, Candy, Cherry, Dark Chocolate, Dry Leaves, Floral, Geranium, Gooseberry, Hazelnut, Malt, Musk, Orange Blossom, Pepper, Prune, Rosewood, Spicy, Straw, Tangy, Tannin, Woody

Martin Bednář

I shall send you a sample of Ilam Pathiwara to find out what do you think about it.

derk

I’d love to try it, Martin.

Martin Bednář

A sample is packed for you among a few others. Tomorrow it will be posted.

Aw, thanks!

Comments

Martin Bednář

derk

I’d love to try it, Martin.

Martin Bednář

A sample is packed for you among a few others. Tomorrow it will be posted.

Aw, thanks!

Eventual tea farmer. If you are a tea grower, want to grow your own plants or are simply curious, please follow me so we can chat.

I most enjoy loose-leaf, unflavored teas and tisanes. Always on the lookout for teas from countries and regions not commonly known for tea production or those that are not well represented in the western market. I seek these teas to gain an understanding, however vague, of how this plant performs in different climates.

bicycle bicycle bicycle