Opened the pouch yesterday. I was looking forward to trying this one.

The Jabberywocky tea’s dry leaf is thin dark twists. The dry tea leaves and tea are aromatic. It has a good chocolatey, woody forest, honey aroma. The wet leaves have the equivalent but more intense aroma of cocoa, dark cocoa to be specific and honey. I could smell some malt, baked bread, and wheat toast. I love those three aroma/taste in tea, by the way. The liquor was a dark amber color and the early infusions had some dried fruits, lots of cocoa. It was woodsy and malty. The baked bread, wheat toast/bread, sweet potatoes, and some spices notes, a dash of salt were present throughout the infusions along with the fresh aroma of fruits, sweetness. Later infusions produced minerals, raisins, and a stronger fruit taste, particularly white peaches, more malt, while the dark cocoa, wood, sweet potatoes, and bread-y notes remained. Lots of honey sweetness, along with brown sugar, burnt sugar, caramel, toasted bread. It has a thick texture although not as thick of a texture as their Alilaoshan Black that I sampled a couple of weeks ago. This is smoother though, in fact, when I drank the infusions, it felt as though I used a different type of water, I didn’t. Really soft mouthfeel. It is also extremely complex with clean notes. Great aftertaste and a long finish of sweetness, and coolness. No bitterness or astringency.

6g, 212°F, 110ml, rinse, 14 steeps: 5s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 1m5s, 1m15s, 1m30s, 2m, 3m, 5m

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Dates, Dried Fruit, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Molasses, Peach, Salt, Smoke, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Thick, Toast, Wood, Yams

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 110 ML
mrmopar

Brendan does some fantastic stuff.

Kawaii433

Indeed :)

Comments

mrmopar

Brendan does some fantastic stuff.

Kawaii433

Indeed :)

Longtime casual tea drinker. In the past, mainly Sencha, Matcha. I’m currently into Oolong, Black & Pu’erh.

Gongfu cha is the main way I prepare my tea (gaiwan or Yixing teapot). I drink all tea… Usually unflavored. I do try some flavored now. I don’t like artificial sweeteners.

I generally don’t add anything to my teas.

USA