drank Just-Right Roast by Mellow Monk

Yes, I know it’s fall. I drink iced tea all year round, just as I do with hot tea. This one comes in paper pyramid sachets. Each sachet makes one quart. Mellow Monk says this is a good cold brew candidate. This blend apparently won first place in the North American Tea Competition in its category in 2012, 2013, and 2014. Kind of impressive.

I used two sachets with two quarts of cool filtered water, then placed the pitcher in the fridge and walked away. Five hours later I poured my first glass. The roasting is similar in intensity to the few genmaichas I have tried. The taste is very nutty just as Mellow Monk said. I have never had a hickory nut so I can’t confirm it as the specific type. No bitterness. It is a little drying at this point. Very different.

On my blog I mentioned how green tea was as popular as black tea in the south prior to the world wars. Of course that means sweet tea. So I added sweetener to the glass. It was very good this way.

24 hours later I poured a second glass. This has really matured. The flavors are deeper with no rough edges. Deep nutty goodness. I had no desire to add sweetener. I finished the glass with a lunchmeat sandwich with jalapeno ketchup. The tea stood up to the sandwich with no effort.

If you like the roasted taste of hojicha and are looking for something unique then this is a real treat.

mrmopar

Jalapeno sounds good in about anything. Love them especially roasted , sweated and diced with roasted poblano, onion and tomatoes. Makes really good salsa with only salt, cilantro and lime juice added.

K S

Dude, you’re elected to make the next sandwiches. I love jalapeno but have to be careful. I have an allergic reaction if I overdo it. Pile on extra poblano and cilantro! One of our local Mexican restaurants makes an awesome salsa with lots of cilantro. Mmmmm.

Kittenna

Sounds intriguing!

Comments

mrmopar

K S