I was really excited when I saw this tea online. TTC once carried a pomelo flower scented oolong that was out of this world good. It’s still one of my top 10 Taiwanese oolongs of all time. I was hoping this could match the TTC tea but sadly it pales in comparison. The pomelo fragrance is just barely there and tastes like it faded a long time ago. Some unexpected bitterness was encountered when cold brewed and grandpa steeped. It was a little better when gongfued but still had a very faint pomelo flavor. The underlying Jin Xuan is thin-bodied and doesn’t contribute much to taste either.

I just saw that this tea was discounted on Mountain Stream’s website with a note explaining that it was now past its shelf life. That’s a little surprising considering it was harvested only a few months and sealed but would explain my experience. I do appreciate the vendor’s honesty though. May consider trying it again in the future if I can get my hands on a fresh batch.

Flavors: Orange Blossom

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I need to try it again because it did not scream at me either.

derk

Heh, the pomelo fragrance screamed at me loud and clear only a month or so ago. I’m surprised it would have faded so quickly being sealed. The base tea seemed high enough quality, though my experience with jin xuan is no more than 5-6 different teas. The only thing I took issue with was a strong numbing of the first half of my tongue.

5-6 green jin xuans

Arby

Since we are discussing pomelo teas, has anyone tried the pomelo fragrance Dan Cong oolong that Yunnan Sourcing sells?

LuckyMe

Arby, the YS pomelo fragrance dan cong is a good, but is a different animal from this tea. This one is produced by scenting a green oolong with flowers in the manner of jasmine tea. Tthe dan cong OTOH has no added flavoring. It’s processed in such a way that it naturally develops a pomelo flower like taste & aroma.

LuckyMe

@derk, i’m also surprised the flavor evaporated so quickly. my TTC pomelo scented tea lasted for a long time before there was any noticeable drop in flavor. could be improper packaging (no oxygen absorbers in this package or skill of the producer.

Comments

Daylon R Thomas

I need to try it again because it did not scream at me either.

5-6 green jin xuans

Arby

LuckyMe

Fell into tea years ago, and for a long time my experience was limited to Japanese greens and a few flavored teas. My tea epiphany came a few years ago when I discovered jade oolongs. That was the gateway drug to the world of fine tea and teaware.

With the exception of a handful of lightly scented teas, I drink mostly straight tea. I love fresh green and floral flavors and as such, green tea and Taiwanese oolongs will always have a place in my cupboard. After avoiding black tea forever, Chinese blacks are beginning to grow on me. I’ve dipped my toe into a few puerhs now but it’s still relatively new territory for me. I also enjoy white tea and tisanes but reach for them less frequently.

Other non-tea interests include: cooking, reading, nature, MMA, traveling when I can, and of course putzing around on the interwebs.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/melucky