This was a really nice dan cong. Smooth, syrupy, and with interesting flavor characteristics that evolved throughout the steeps.

The dry leaf had potent aromas of plums, wildflower honey, and rocks. Following a rinse, these turned into camphor, eucalyptus, and toasted nuts. The tea started off roasty with a touch of honey. The roast soon faded and gave way to a maple like syrupy flavor and hint of cinnamon. More spice came in later, specifically nutmeg and cardamom. The body thickened and there was an orchid note in the finish and later on hints of eucalyptus/mint. Towards the end, the mouthfeel became quite drying though the tea itself remained nice and smooth.

Dan congs can be challenging to brew but this one was unfussy and extremely forgiving to brew times and temperatures. I enjoyed its balanced taste and mellow sweetness. My sample was nearly 2 years old so I can only imagine how good it must have been at its peak.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Maple Syrup, Nutmeg, Orchid, Wet Rocks

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 2 g 2 OZ / 65 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Sounds like a nice one.

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

Sounds like a nice one.

95 to 100: Top shelf stuff. Loved this tea and highly recommend it

90 to 94: Excellent. Enjoyed this tea and would likely repurchase

80 to 89: Good but not great. I liked it though it may be lacking in some aspects. I’ll finish it but probably won’t buy

70 to 79: Average at best. Not terrible but wouldn’t willingly drink again

60 to 69: Sub-par. Low quality tea, barely palatable

59 and below: Bleh

Fell into tea years ago, and for a long time my experience was limited to Japanese greens and a few flavored teas. My tea epiphany came a few years ago when I discovered jade oolongs. That was the gateway drug to the world of fine tea and teaware.

With the exception of a handful of lightly scented teas, I drink mostly straight tea. I love fresh green and floral flavors and as such, green tea and Taiwanese oolongs will always have a place in my cupboard. After avoiding black tea forever, Chinese blacks are beginning to grow on me. I’ve dipped my toe into a few puerhs now but it’s still relatively new territory for me. I also enjoy white tea and tisanes but reach for them less frequently.

Other non-tea interests include: cooking, reading, nature, MMA, traveling when I can, and of course putzing around on the interwebs.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/melucky