First spring green tea of 2019 and my very first Anji Bai Cha. This is a tea that can taste dramatically different depending on the brewing method used. I gongfu steeped it initially and got what tasted like a delicate vegetable broth mixed with fresh linens. Not bad, but not terribly exciting either. Today I grandpa steeped it and it blew my socks off.

The leaves are visually stunning. Bright pistachio green and shaped into elegant pine needles with a wonderful aroma of asparagus, matcha, and something vaguely floral. The wet leaf had more prominent vegetal notes of zucchini, edamame, chard, and arugula-like pepperiness. The taste of the tea reminded me of dragon well but creamier and not as nutty. It’s a thick, luscious creaminess that tastes like drinking soymilk mixed with a ray of sunshine. I also got hints of pistachio and what tasted like matcha powder. As the leaves continued to sit in the hot water, light vegetal and grassy notes appeared along with a little honeysuckle in the background. No bitterness whatsoever no matter how long I steeped it for. A great tea for throwing in the tumbler or thermos mug.

I know Anji Bai Cha can command ridiculous prices so I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one considering the low price price but its a really yummy green tea. A good value for the quality you get.

Flavors: Cream, Grass, Nuts, Soybean

180 °F / 82 °C 2 g 11 OZ / 325 ML
Ubacat

Yes, this one is very good quality for the price. Those leaves definitely have to stay in the water a decent amount of time. I brew mine with a cup and infuser and leave them in a full 2 min.

Comments

Ubacat

Fell into tea years ago, and for a long time my experience was limited to Japanese greens and a few flavored teas. My tea epiphany came a few years ago when I discovered jade oolongs. That was the gateway drug to the world of fine tea and teaware.

With the exception of a handful of lightly scented teas, I drink mostly straight tea. I love fresh green and floral flavors and as such, green tea and Taiwanese oolongs will always have a place in my cupboard. After avoiding black tea forever, Chinese blacks are beginning to grow on me. I’ve dipped my toe into a few puerhs now but it’s still relatively new territory for me. I also enjoy white tea and tisanes but reach for them less frequently.

Other non-tea interests include: cooking, reading, nature, MMA, traveling when I can, and of course putzing around on the interwebs.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/melucky