Once in a while a tea comes along that challenges your preconceived notions about that category of tea. For me, this Taiwanese black redefines what black tea should taste like. It’s a magnificent tea, delightfully fruity with a smooth and highly refined taste.

The smell in the bag is heavenly; like tangy, fresh strawberries and dried cherries. A brown sugar aroma like appears after dropping the leaves into a warmed teapot. The first steep was sweet with fruity notes of dark berries and a light malty finish. Second steep was richer with more brown sugar sweetness and notes of bergamot and musk. Next two steeps were silky smooth and had a hint of white grapes.

This was an exquisite tea with fantastic aromatics and a refreshing quality that made for a very pleasant drinking experience. It’s quite different from the full bodied blacks I’m used to. I know Taiwanese blacks are highly regarded but the ones I’d tried up until now failed to impress. Having experienced this tea, I get the hype now. I must say I’m impressed with both of the teas I’ve sampled from The Jade Leaf. I wouldn’t have thought to use them for tea since they are known for teaware. Emilio sources some excellent tea and I’m grateful to have been able to try a couple of them.

Flavors: Bergamot, Blackberry, Brown Sugar, Cherry, Malt, Strawberry, White Grapes

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 160 ML
ashmanra

I love Ruby 18’s.

Ubacat

Wow, I want to order this tea now. Sounds so good.

LuckyMe

I would totally buy more of this tea if they sold it in smaller quantities. But 75g is way too much for an occasional black tea drinker like me

Please keep things friendly and .

Comments

ashmanra

I love Ruby 18’s.

Ubacat

Wow, I want to order this tea now. Sounds so good.

LuckyMe

Please keep things friendly and .

95 to 100: Top shelf stuff. Loved this tea and highly recommend it

90 to 94: Excellent. Enjoyed this tea and would likely repurchase

80 to 89: Good but not great. I liked it though it may be lacking in some aspects. I’ll finish it but probably won’t buy again

70 to 79: Average at best. Not terrible but wouldn’t willingly drink again

60 to 69: Sub-par. Low quality tea, barely palatable

59 and below: Bleh

Fell into tea years ago, and for a long time my experience was limited to Japanese greens and a few flavored teas. My tea epiphany came a few years ago when I discovered jade oolongs. That was the gateway drug to the world of fine tea and teaware.

With the exception of a handful of lightly scented teas, I drink mostly straight tea. I love fresh green and floral flavors and as such, green tea and Taiwanese oolongs will always have a place in my cupboard. After avoiding black tea forever, Chinese blacks are beginning to grow on me. I’ve dipped my toe into a few puerhs now but it’s still relatively new territory for me. I also enjoy white tea and tisanes but reach for them less frequently.

Other non-tea interests include: cooking, reading, nature, MMA, traveling when I can, and of course putzing around on the interwebs.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/melucky