June Wedding! This is another of my newer aquisitions, also from the American Tea House “going out of business sale” when I got the Citron White tea (which I can report was better as an iced tea, but I still found a little cloying in citrus flavor… I wish I had some fresh mint sprigs, which I think would’ve helped? For the hot cuppa, I actually ended up making it as a choco-milk latte, and the lemon-chocolate flavor combo worked quite well! So at least there is that for finishing it up…)

So this is another lavender tea, something I’ve been really into lately, though I have found some blends can be heavy handed on the lavender, and then they just taste sour. The Lavender White tea I got from Lupicia ended up that way to me, so I am a little skeptical… I love the stuff, I really do, but I find the proportions and blending has to be just right, so I guess I’m a bit of a picky fan…

Fortunately, this is a really wonderful sencha, the kind that is smooth, with a soft grassiness and just a little buttery, and a nice buttery sencha is my favorite flavor. The lavender is not too heavy and blends nicely with that buttery note, adding a minty floral flavor to the grassiness of the green tea. I have a feeling that if I added a little sugar to the tea, it would remind me just slightly of a lavender pastry, if not for the grassiness of the green tea. This is definitely a tea that I’d recommend going light on the leaf, using 160-175 F water, and a shorter steep of no more than 2 minutes.

I also really love cold-steeping this stuff in lemonade! The lemonade has a very subtle hint of the green tea, but mostly, it is just left with a very nice lavender flavor, and since lavender and lemon is a flavor combination that works so well together (in my humble opinion), it just works. It’s tangy, sweet, and a bit floral… pretty much everything I love! I imagine I’ll be drinking tons of this over the summer!

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Grass, Lavender, Mint, Umami, Vegetal

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in southern Idaho, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, RuPaul’s Drag Race, coloring books, simulation computer games, Japanese culture, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little apartment!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Smoke-scented teas/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Grapefruit (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Medicinal flavors/Ginseng
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

My Tea Obsession of the Moment: Hibiscus ciders… deal with it.

My Monthly Tea Theme: Holiday Tea-son! This month I’ll be sampling holiday blends and advent calendar teas from my collection!

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating.

New Teas Tried for 2018: 265
Sipdown Count for 2018: 231

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2J0sUMNItRsf0jBRBR6XDFUimm60f0o/view?usp=sharing . I am currently on a tea trading/ordering hiatus to get my collection under control! Check back in the future for tea trades (USA only!)

Idaho, United States