June Wedding! Another something borrowed from the last Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box! (Thanks to all who contributed and tea-sipper for organizing!) I prepared this one as a cold brew, since I’ve really been enjoying flavored whites cold steeped. I didn’t have very much leaf, but just steeped with what seemed an appro-po amount of water in an insulated water bottle overnight while out of town and went grandpa-style with it.

The tea was a fairly pale yellow color, with a very sweet apple aroma. As far as flavor, I was actually surprised that the white tea was more prominent in this blend than others I’ve tried; I was getting a slight vegetal taste to the base, that to me tasted like cucumber. I also was picking up on some sweeter melon notes. The tea has an apple flavor, but it wasn’t a really strong, overbearing apple flavor like I’ve tasted in other teas, and I think that’s because the white tea base is coming through more here and allowed a lot more of its own flavor; the apple tastes more natural and comes across a bit more softly. The apple note and its sweetness compliments the white tea well, and the whole thing almost has this sort of wine-like bite to it.

It was a nice enough cool iced drink, but I’m not sure if the overall flavor left enough of an impression on me that I’d care to restock this one. There was a lot of depth of flavor, but they just pulled together in an odd way to me… if I had more leaf I probably would’ve experimented with a warm cuppa too. But it was enjoyable enough on a warm June afternoon.

Flavors: Apple, Cucumber, Melon, Sweet, Vegetal, White Wine

Iced 8 min or more 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in southern Idaho, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, RuPaul’s Drag Race, coloring books, simulation computer games, Japanese culture, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little apartment!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Smoke-scented teas/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Grapefruit (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Medicinal flavors/Ginseng
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

My Tea Obsession of the Moment: Sweet spice teas

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating.

New Teas Tried for 2019: 13
Sipdown Count for 2019: 14

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2J0sUMNItRsf0jBRBR6XDFUimm60f0o/view?usp=sharing . I am currently on a tea trading/ordering hiatus to get my collection under control! I cannot participate in any tea boxes, group orders, tea exchanges, or accept any tea gifts at this point in time. If there is something on my spreadsheet that I have in large quantity (50g or higher) that you would like to sample, feel free to contact me about it, as I am open to limited gifting (USA only!)

Idaho, United States