Summer Vacation! Though this is a blend, the teas in the blend are Chinese (Chinese green tea and jasmine silver needle white tea) so I say it fits during my China stay for my summer vacation theme (honestly, I was just feeling a blend tonight, and wanted something lighter on caffeine to catch up on some sleep). I got this as a free sampler with one of my B&B orders… not sure when, except it was at some point when they were still known as Bluebird Tea Co. I’m not a fan of jasmine unless it is very lightly scented in the tea, and my initial thought sniffing the single sachet sampler is that it smelled a bit heavily of jasmine. Hmm. Well, I’ll still brew it up and give it a try, and if it really reeks of jasmine from the brewed cup, it wasn’t like anything was wasted. It was a freebie, after all!

Brewed, the jasmine still smells a little strong for my tastes… not as bad as my one foray into jasmine pearls, but still heavier than I tend to prefer jasmine in my teas before it just feels too perfumey to me. Thankfully the spearmint in the blend helps cut back on the flavor a lot, so it doesn’t taste like I’m just drinking perfume, which is a major problem I have with most jasmine teas. The floral and spearmint flavor combination is actually pretty pleasant on the palate… but this still wouldn’t ever be a tea I’d pick up for myself. The heady aroma off the cup is just too much. If the jasmine was toned down a bit — perhaps the balance of that particular tea was much lighter compared to the green tea in the blend, or a lighter-scented version of the jasmine silver needle was used, or the spearmint was even heavier — then maybe I’d be happier with it, but as it is it just strikes that place that is too perfume-scented for me, which can be a problem with my migraines.

Which is a bit of a shame, really. Because it has a very smooth base, light and delicate, very floral, and I like the sharp mintiness at the end of the sip. I’m just very much a “less is more” sort of person with that particular floral note.

Flavors: Floral, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Mint, Smooth, Spearmint

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in southern Idaho, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, RuPaul’s Drag Race, coloring books, simulation computer games, Japanese culture, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little apartment!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Smoke-scented teas/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Grapefruit (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Medicinal flavors/Ginseng
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

Currently Sipping Down: ITI’s Black Currant, Art of Tea’s Green Pomegranate, Art of Tea’s Starfire Licorice

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating.

New Teas Tried for 2019: 55
Sipdown Count for 2019: 75

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2J0sUMNItRsf0jBRBR6XDFUimm60f0o/view?usp=sharing . I am currently on a tea trading/ordering hiatus to get my collection under control! I cannot participate in any tea boxes, group orders, tea exchanges, or accept any tea gifts at this point in time. If there is something on my spreadsheet that I have in large quantity (50g or higher) that you would like to sample, feel free to contact me about it, as I am open to limited gifting (USA only!)

Idaho, United States