I still haven’t had any time to talk about my Portland vacation or Tea Fes PDX… and to be honest, probably will not until after the move (I can imagine writing a bunch of notes during the interim that I’m stuck with no internet between the utilities switch, and then having a bunch to post after that… ugh. Not looking forward to that…) But when I was at Tea Fes PDX, the Tao of Tea booth had a wheel you would spin to “win” tea bags, though it was really just a farsical thing to add to the “carnival” motif of the booth, since no matter what number you spun, they would absolutely stuff a bunch of sachet freebies into your bag. There was a green tea and a hibihip herbal, and both blends seem to be originals and nothing I could match off their website. I’m upset I didn’t take a picture of the booth, since now I have nothing to match ingredients from.

I’ve been making these hibihip bags as cold brew iced teas and have finished them off today; quite handy, as all my tea has been packed in boxes for months now and I’ve just had the boxes of bagged/sachet teas in the kitchen cupboard still unpacked. I could tell there was hibiscus, rosehip, orange peel (or at least some sort of citrus peel), and allspice in the blend, not sure if there are other ingredients in there as well. The flavor reminds me a bit of those spiced hibihip Christmas blends, though less strong on the spice elements than those tend to favor. Since the blend isn’t fruit-forward, I get strong tart cranberry/stewed tomato flavor I get from straight hibi, and there is definitely a pop of orange citrus and a mild, non-lingering spice note. It’s been quite refreshing… at least if you are like me, and enjoy drinking iced hibiscus tea by the gallon-full.

Flavors: Citrus, Cranberry, Hibiscus, Orange, Spices, Tangy, Tart

Iced 8 min or more 4 tsp 32 OZ / 946 ML
gmathis

The expo sounds fantastic! People just waiting to give you free tea!

Comments

gmathis

The expo sounds fantastic! People just waiting to give you free tea!

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in southern Idaho, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, RuPaul’s Drag Race, coloring books, simulation computer games, Japanese culture, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little apartment!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Smoke-scented teas/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Grapefruit (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Medicinal flavors/Ginseng
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

Currently Sipping Down: ITI’s Moroccan Mint, TeaSource’s Roasted Chestnut

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating.

New Teas Tried for 2019: 69
Sipdown Count for 2019: 99

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D2J0sUMNItRsf0jBRBR6XDFUimm60f0o/view?usp=sharing . I am currently on a tea trading/ordering hiatus to get my collection under control! I cannot participate in any tea boxes, group orders, tea exchanges, or accept any tea gifts at this point in time. If there is something on my spreadsheet that I have in large quantity (50g or higher) that you would like to sample, feel free to contact me about it, as I am open to limited gifting (USA only!)

Idaho, United States