Finally got into the tea record for this one… These 404 errors are getting more than a little annnoying…

This is a sample I got in a tea exchange a while ago from AJRimmer, thank you! My sister had to work this weekend in my town and was staying at my place, so I made us this tea to go with some pumpkin cake for dessert after dinner.

I really like the scent of the dry leaf in the bag… there is a strong pumpkin spice aroma (especially cinnamon), but also a cookie-like quality. I’m getting the same scent off the steep cup, except it isn’t as pleasant to me as the dry leaf… it feels somewhat artificial, like an autumn-scented Yankee candle. The flavor is definitely not as nice as the aroma. The rooibos is coming off quite overbearing here, and I’m getting that brassy/medicinal note that I very rarely taste from red rooibos, as well as a strong woody note. Of the pumpkin spices, I’m mostly just tasting a strong cinnamon presence, with perhaps a bit of allspice… and there is a subtle caramel note that I’m not sure if its from the rooibos or a flavoring. There may be a flavoring in here not meshing with me, as well… I think I’ll try it a few other ways to see if I can’t improve it over the straight cup (perhaps a latte with a little maple syrup added?)

I plan to finish off the sample, but this isn’t one I’m going to miss. I am always grateful for the opportunity to try a pumpkin tea I haven’t had before, so thanks again, AJ!

Flavors: Artificial, Caramel, Cinnamon, Medicinal, Rooibos, Spices, Wood

ashmanra

I couldn’t sign on at all yesterday!

Dustin

Are you a huge pumpkin lover as well?!

Mastress Alita

The hugest! Should be a year-round found rather than a seasonal, as far as I’m concerned…

tea-sipper

Whoa, I also had this tea AND a piece of pumpkin cake last night! haha

Comments

ashmanra

I couldn’t sign on at all yesterday!

Dustin

Are you a huge pumpkin lover as well?!

Mastress Alita

tea-sipper

Whoa, I also had this tea AND a piece of pumpkin cake last night! haha

Hi! I’m Sara, a middle-aged librarian living in southern Idaho, USA. I’m a big ol’ sci-fi/fantasy/anime geek that loves fandom conventions, coloring books, simulation computer games, Japanese culture, and cats. Proud asexual and supporter of the LGBTQ+ community. I’m also a chronic migraineur. As a surprise to no one, I’m a helpless tea addict with a tea collecting and hoarding problem! (It still baffles me how much tea I can cram into my little condo!) I enjoy trying all sorts of teas… for me tea is a neverending journey!

Favorite Flavors:

I love sampling a wide variety of teas! For me the variety is what makes the hobby of tea sampling so fun! While I enjoy trying all different types of teas (pure teas, blends, tisanes), these are some flavors/ingredients I enjoy:
-Dessert/chocolate/vanilla/caramel/cream/toffee/maple
-Bergamot (in moderation)
-Roasted/nutty
-Tart/tangy/hibiscus/rosehip

Disliked Flavors:

There are not many flavors or ingredients that I don’t like. These include:
-Bananas/banana flavoring
-Smoke-scented teas/heavy smoke flavors (migraine trigger)
-Perfumey teas/extremely heavy floral aromas (migraine trigger)
-Gingko biloba (migraine trigger)
-Chamomile (used in blends as a background note/paired with stronger flavors is okay)
-Extremely spicy/heated teas
-Medicinal flavors/Ginseng
-Metallic flavors
-Overly strong artificial flavorings

With the exception of bananas and migraine triggers, I’ll pretty much try any tea at least once!

Steeping Parameters:

I drink tea in a variety of ways! For hot brews, I mostly drink my teas brewed in the western style without additions, and for iced tea, I drink teas mostly brewed in the cold brew style without additions. Occassionally I’ll change that up. I use the https://octea.ndim.space/#/ app for water-to-tea ratios and use steep times to my preferences.

My Rating Scale:

90-100 – Top tier tea! These teas are among my personal favorites, and typically I like to keep them stocked in my cupboards at all times, if possible!

70-89 – These are teas that I personally found very enjoyable, but I may or may not feel inclined to keep them in stock.

50-69 – Teas that fall in this range I enjoyed, but found either average, lacking in some way, or I’ve had a similar tea that “did it better.”

21-49 – Teas in this range I didn’t enjoy, for one reason or another. I may or may not finish them off, depending on their ranking, and feel no inclination to restock them.

20-1 – Blech! My Tea Hall of Shame. These are the teas that most likely saw the bottom of my garbage can, because I’d feel guilty to pass them onto someone else.

Note that I only journal a tea once, not every time I drink a cup of it. If my opinion of a tea drastically changes since my original review, I will journal the tea again with an updated opinion and change my rating. Occassionally I revisit a tea I’ve reviewed before after a year or more has passed.

Inventory:

My Cupboard on Steepster reflects teas that I have sampled and logged for review, and is not used as an inventory for teas I currently own at the present moment. An accurate and up-to-date listing of my current tea inventory can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AvGT1XwgJUTErt3zhjpHbXf6HNS3k_Ym85zoHJPmhX4/edit?usp=sharing . A downloadable spreadsheet version with more detailed information can be acquired here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JjlpjQ94UyoryaDRMIeqnPHObgvCtmRp/view?usp=sharing . I am currently strictly limiting tea trading/ordering to get my collection under control! My participation in any tea boxes, tea exchanges, or group orders, and acceptance of any tea gifts is very limited at this point in time. If there is something on my spreadsheet that I have in large quantity (50g or higher) that you would like to sample, feel free to contact me about it, as I am open to limited outbound gifting (USA only!)

Contact Info:

Feel free to send me a Steepster PM, or alternatively, check the website URL section below; it goes to a contact form that will reach my personal e-mail.

Idaho, United States