drank Bailin Gongfu Black Tea by Teavivre

My Teavivre order finally arrived on Friday! That same day, I got an email from Mary at Teavivre checking to make sure that everything arrived in good condition, which was really nice. Good customer service for sure!

I was excited to try this tea as it’s so highly regarded here on steepster. The leaves are small, dark, and twisted and smell malty, yeasty, and somewhat like cocoa. They yield a very bold sienna brew. The sip is dominated by a very strong sourdough bread note, much like I get from Verdant’s Laoshan Black. The taste is grainy up front, morphing into sourdough with subtle hints of honey and cocoa. The finish, though, was quite tannic to me, which was a slight minus in my book.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cocoa, Grain, Honey, Tannic

Marzipan

What temp and length did you do?

mj

I did 194F for 2 or 2.5 min (somewhere in that range)

Actually 195F, but close enough

Cheri

I love that they email to make sure everything is there and okay. I feel like if something wasn’t okay, they’d replace it immediately. They have good customer service.

yyz

You could try either brewing it at a lower temp and/or reducing the amount of leaf you used.

boychik

I recommend gongfu. Works all the time;) very short steeps

yyz and boychik, I can try both those suggestions since I have 100g of it lol

Lots to play with:).

mj

I tried it at 185F this morning and it was much better! I haven’t had a chance to gongfu it yet, but I will try that soon!

Comments

Marzipan

What temp and length did you do?

mj

I did 194F for 2 or 2.5 min (somewhere in that range)

Actually 195F, but close enough

Cheri

boychik

I recommend gongfu. Works all the time;) very short steeps

yyz and boychik, I can try both those suggestions since I have 100g of it lol

Lots to play with:).

mj

Tea-obsessed, book worm scientist.

I love black tea, especially Chinese black tea- I’m looking at you Fujians and Yunnans! I also enjoy Indian teas, mostly first flush darjeelings (and a select few assams).
I think I’m recently starting to like oolongs better though- gasp! I’ve been cheating on my black teas with all these lovely, alluring green floral oolongs. Sorry I’m not sorry.
White tea gets a lot of love too! I am particularly fond of silver needle whites.
I can’t seem to appreciate green teas and rooibos is foul, IMO.

Other interests: Books! Board games! Nerdy entertainment like Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Sherlock, all the nature documentaries, etc etc. Also Disney!

I’m up for swaps!

Follow me on instagram if you like tea, food, and animal pics plus some other randomness:

Minneapolis, MN