I wanted tea this morning before I left, so as I was making the tea to put into my two water bottles I decided to make myself a cup of this (and a water bottle full of it too). Last night when I was picking travel teas I realized I have a TON of this left, and I didn’t want to take any with because it’s really temperamental to brew. So, using some up today.

I realized something else today that, dare I say it, was “Earth Shattering”. Well, not really Earth shattering, but still a pretty freaking big deal. For those who don’t know (basically all of you), I’m TERRIBLE at math. Seriously – I BARELY passed the classes in highschool (passed with a 50), and I can’t divide anything larger than 20 to save my life. Something just doesn’t click.

So, when I moved up to Saskatoon I asked my mom how many ounces the tea cups and mugs I was taking with me held, as well as how much my water bottle holds. Around the time I was moving was when I was REALLY getting into tea and starting to actually pay attention to how much leaf I was using and water temperature and things like that. She told me that my water bottle was 12 oz., the smaller set of tea cups was 6 oz., and the larger was 8 oz. and I just accepted this as the truth.

Well, today I realized that she gave me incorrect information: I guess she’s just as bad at math as I am. How do I know this? Well, I recently bought a timolino from David’s (the 12 oz. one) thinking it’d hold the same amount as my water bottle. I didn’t notice yesterday because I steeped my tea straight into the timolino, but today I made the tea for my timolino separately to pour into my timolino. I expected it to half fill it because I was using my “6 oz.” cup – but instead it almost completely filled it. So, I did some actual research and some math (it took forever, because I wasn’t sure I was doing it correctly), and it turns out that my teacups/mugs actually hold the following amounts:

- Timolino: 12 oz. (obviously)
- Waterbottle: 20 oz.!!!
- Small Teacups: 8 oz.
- Larger Teacups: 10 oz.!!!

So, I’ve been steeping the incorrect amount of leaf for months… And times when I thought I was overleafing, turns out I was essentially just using the correct amount of leaf. I’m just… shocked. I feel like I was told the worst, nastiest lie. I mean, I’ve been enjoying the amounts I’ve been drinking, so I don’t think I’m going to change the way I’ve been drinking tea completely – but I’m sort of stunned? Here I was thinking I liked my teas extra strong, but really I like them how they’re supposed to be made?

sIUgfvbp bpuvdgipv AHGBUIPBEfiHv achb

Urgh. My head hurts… The tea is a lie!

So, starting “fresh”: Today I steeped 1 tsp. of this for 8 oz. of tea. It was actually pretty good, but I’m finding myself falling out of love with it. I think that’s because since initially trying it I’ve discovered better lemon flavoured teas. It was pretty creamy though – and I really love that in an Earl Grey. I have more of it for the trip back home to Regina (spending the night there and then leaving for Winnipeg for Comic Con way early in the morning of the 1st), but I prepared it pretty much the same way as this cup so I’m not going to create a separate note for it since I’m sure it’ll taste essentially the same.

MissB

I hear you on the measurements! It wasn’t until I splurged on the Breville tea maker last week that I realized how off my measurements were prior – both with boiling points (especially for this tea, it is a finicky one) and cup/teaspoon sizing.

Roswell Strange

It’s odd because the water bottle I’ve been using is the same height as my new timolino, but I guess it’s wider around so it holds more liquid – and I suppose it doesn’t have a brew basket taking up space either.

Cavocorax

The tea is a lie… (snickers)
I had the same realization, so you’re not alone

ashmanra

Ha ha! I had just told my hubby getting the groceries out of the trunk not to bring in the egg carton because it wasn’t eggs. He said, “The eggs are a lie?”

Sometimes I wonder if some companies give the capacity measurement based on how much it will hold filled to the absolute brim and others give it based on how much it will hold with a reasonable margin. I have two teapots from two different companies and one ays it is 22 ounce and the other says 18 ounce, yet they hold almost exactly the same amount! The 22 ounce one means if you fill it all the way to the top, but the other company went by what it would hold if you filled it to a reasonable level at which it will not spill when you try to move it.

Comments

MissB

Roswell Strange

Cavocorax

The tea is a lie… (snickers)
I had the same realization, so you’re not alone

ashmanra

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: