For work this afternoon I decided I wanted to do a couple sipdowns, and since I saw this one back up on the Della Terra site last night (although, only available in the 1 oz. size) I figured I didn’t need to hoard this any longer and could ‘afford’ the try it: this way if I do like it then I know that I could put in an order if I really wanted to.

So, sipdown! For my 8 oz. mug I used the whole sample I received from Janelle’s tea sale – about 1 tsp. and a half. In boiling water, I let this steep for four minutes. The liquor was a little swampy and oily looking, not unlike the oil from when peanut butter separates. I’m going to attribute this to the peanut butter morsels and sprinkles.

I tried a few sips hot before I poured it into my water bottle, but it was super hot and I just ended up burning my tongue and not tasting a whole lot. Now that I’m at work I’m drinking this at slightly warmer than room temperature. The smell of the liquor is the sorta of trademark “fudgey chocolate” I associate with Della Terra. For whatever reason their chocolate teas taste different to me; more rich. Whatever kind of chocolate they’re using is probably my favourite that I’ve accounted thus far. And, I do get a very faint smell of peanut butter. It is clear enough, though, that I think I’d be able to know I was smelling peanut butter if I was blinding smelling this without knowledge of the ingredients.

Taste wise – this is very nice and fudgey chocolate tasting. I’m impressed in that regard, at the least. The peanut butter is mild, and I definitely wanted it to be at least equal in taste to the chocolate – and it’s not. However I only noticed one small peanut butter morsel in the leaf I used so if there had been more perhaps this would taste closer to what my expectation was. I guess another thing that could be a factor is the temperature I’m drinking it at – perhaps hotter the peanut butter is stronger is flavour.

I think this might be worth investing in another ounce sized sample of, just to test that theory out because ultimately, even as is right now, this isn’t bad by a long shot.

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Clay Pixiu Dragons: Zak & Wheezie
Clay Monkey: Enzo
Ruyao Carp: Splashy
Ceramic Rabbit: Rupert
Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket

I also have two real life pets:

SK, Canada