Welp…

I just had sort of the best and worst day of work, simultaneously. For those who don’t already know, I was hired at Tea Desire and today was my first shift. It was absolutely incredible getting to work so closely with teas, recommending blends for people, scooping tea, and everything else. Even doing manual labor like mopping or compacting cardboard was great. It was basically a dream job.

The “worst work day” part comes in right at the end of my shift. After spending the entire day training, learning how to work the till, soaking up information on tea blends and memorizing tea ingredients, and being given forms to fill out and bring back, my trainer pulled me aside and told me that they had found someone more qualified to fill the position and consequently no longer had a spot for me.

I’ll be perfectly honest, I’m really disappointed and I feel like I was “led on” all throughout the day, but I also understand completely. So, they paid me for the day’s work and I sadly departed. Now I’m back to browsing job listings online, and it’s really disheartening. Most of all, I know my Mom is likely going to call any day now to ask how everything went (I was so excited to be working there) and I’m not sure how to tell her I’m back to job hunting…

Regardless, it was an incredible experience and I enjoyed my time there (and of course I’m going to be continuing to drink their blends – I feel like that doesn’t even need to be said, they’re too good to not drink) – and if anyone here has the opportunity to work in a tea store, if only for a day, I highly recommend doing it!

Silverlining, I suppose, is now I have more time to write tasting notes while job hunting so that I can beat VariaTEA in our competition.

Anyway, this was one of three blends I took with me today. This was the one of three that I drank cold, and it was just perfect. Sweet and floral and yummy! I’m so glad I bought 100g of this to drink whenever I want! Mmm!

VariaTEA

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear that! At least you got to be an employee at a tea shop for one day (especially since one day of pay is better than none at all).

However, you are going to need that free time if you plan on catching up to me. I am a tea drinking machine :P

Yvonne

Oh no – I sympathize with you so much! I’m so sorry it didn’t work out for you. But there will be other opportunities out there – just pick yourself up and keep going! :) I’m sure you’ll find something that’s just as good if not better.

Lala

That’s too bad. But you will find something else. If you really want to work in tea retail, I would suggest speaking to managers of tea shops/coffee shops, even if there are no job postings. You are knowledgeable and passionate about tea, it may lead to an unexpected job. A lot of places (esp small stores/companies) don’t post jobs and often hire people they know, etc.

keychange

Wow, I was so not expecting this, and I’m so sorry—it must have come as such a shock. And regardless of how qualified this person supposedly was, no one wants to hear that they’re being let go because they found someone better. I’m kind of mad on your behalf at the moment.

keychange

I may be outing myself here, but I’m concerned about how you were treated. You obviously don’t have to answer any of my questions, but I wonder if you signed a contract with them, and what it indicates. Either way, I’m very disappointed with the way this was dealt with by the company. Very, very poor form on their part, if you ask me. Especially because it could have employment law implications.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry to hear that. keep going! At least there is tea, no matter how bad off you have been knowing you can taste wonderful teas and then write about them keeps your spirits up.

Comments

VariaTEA

Yvonne

Lala

TeaVivre

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Clay Pixiu Dragons: Zak & Wheezie
Clay Monkey: Enzo
Ruyao Carp: Splashy
Ceramic Rabbit: Rupert
Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket

I also have two real life pets:

SK, Canada