drank Ceylon Star by DAVIDsTEA

Thank you Isaila for my sample of this!

For preparation, I steeped up 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 8 oz. of boiling water for four minutes. Although now I’m wondering if that wasn’t enough leaf or enough time but I’m not getting a ton out of this. Boo…

What I do get, is a fairly creamy black tea with light (emphasis on the “light”) notes of chocolate and a whole lot of cinnamon. Odd – I didn’t think there was cinnamon in this blend? When it was really hot, I got some coconut notes but now that’s it’s cooled down a lot I’m not getting any of those either. And sadly, I certainly don’t get any anise which is what I was really looking forward to. It also has a sort of oily mouthfeel.

Also, now that the mug is almost done my tongue sorta feels funny? Like – very numb…

Oh well – thank you Isaila for the generous sample! I have a couple more cups worth left to see if I can produce a better cup, but right now I’m thinking this one just isn’t for me at all which is ok because at least I didn’t have to spend any money to find that out.

VariaTEA

This was all licorice to me with a faint taste of chocolate. Definitely not for me, though I did think you would have liked it.

Yvonne

Quite honestly I didn’t mind it, but I don’t mind licorice. My dad on the other hand is a licorice fiend and loved it.

Isaila

A friend gave me a whole lot of this for my birthday, and I don’t really like anise and some of the other ingredients at all, so I didn’t have much… It’s vaguely alarming to me that your tongue is going numb… But I hope that you eventually get a better cup from it!

Roswell Strange

I probably scored it lower than was fair – it actually didn’t taste bad and had it been branded differently (like, cinnamon hot chocolate – maybe?) I’m sure it would have left a better impression. I think I was just disappointed about the lack of anise, which I really love the taste of.

Isaila

Haha of course. I think you definitely liked it better than I did anyway :)

Comments

VariaTEA

Yvonne

Roswell Strange

Isaila

Haha of course. I think you definitely liked it better than I did anyway :)

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: