Thank you VariaTEA for the sample of this – I’ve been curious about it for a while. It’s been in my sample drawer since getting it (as opposed to sample bags stuffed in my closet), and I’ve been waiting for the right evening to try it but this morning I finally just went “Fuck it, it sounds like a good breakfast tea” – though it’s 3 PM, so not really breakfast time. Except I just got up an hour ago, and this is the first food/drink I’ve had all day – so sorta breakfast, I guess.

How much leaf do the people who really enjoy this normally use? I used 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in 10 oz. of boiling water, steeped for 8 minutes and the result was pretty tasty but incredibly weak. Now, I’m sure part of that is because I used 10 oz. – but just wondering? It also weirded me out a little but that this steeped up practically clear? I was expecting at least a little colour.

Anyway maybe I just had steep expectations? Hah, get it? I’m punny. Don’t judge me – it’s 3 PM and I practically just got up. But yeah, it’s not like it was a bad cup or anything…

Yvonne

I’m determined I’m gonna try this tea one day :P

Cavocorax

I’m curious what people will say! I was impressed with it at first, but now it’s just the smell of it really that carries the cup. The cup itself is a tad weak and disappointing. So, input is welcome! I think I used a SUPER HEAPING perfect teaspoon in my 16 oz mug, but I do put lots in there to compensate for the oz.

Also I love that your fuck-it-this-is-breakfast cup was at 3PM.

AnnaEA

I’ve never tried this kind of tea — but reading up on it, it sounds like the cacao shell used to make this tisane is a denser woody part of the plant, rather than a leaf. Woody parts usually require decocting to get the best flavour out of them. Try keeping it over the heat at a gentle simmer for the same 8 minutes, and seeing how that works — as if you were cooking chai. Also, if you have a mortar and pestle around, bruising the herb before decocting it will help the taste too.

Courtney

I also oversteep this one, and use a heaping teaspoon for my 16 oz. mug. I do find the flavour comes out much more as it cools.

Courtney

I also like the Strawberry Cream version, though I wasn’t crazy about the Mint or Vanilla versions.

Roswell Strange

I have a sample of the Strawberry Cream as well, so maybe I’ll try that one today for comparison.

VariaTEA

When I first had this I fell in love but now, like Forever Nuts, the smell is offputting to me. I want so badly to like it but it just hasn’t been appealing as of recently. I am keeping it around, as well as the flavored versions, in hopes that that will change one day.

I am sorry it was not what you were expecting. The good thing about this is you can let it steep forever and it won’t get bitter. In fact, I think the longer you steep, the more flavorful it is.

Also, my “morning” starts at 1 most days and my bedtime is around 4 am so I am all for breakfast at 3 pm.

Comments

Yvonne

I’m determined I’m gonna try this tea one day :P

Cavocorax

Also I love that your fuck-it-this-is-breakfast cup was at 3PM.

AnnaEA

Roswell Strange

VariaTEA

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: