Sipdown (208/211)!

Slowly making my way back under 200 – but as soon as I get something in the mail, my dreams of accomplishing that any time soon will be squelched.

Thank you Just Organic tea for the samples! An EG sounded like a good way to start my morning today, so I picked out this one. Dry, it smells very strongly of Bergamot. I was also very happy to see that there’s no lavender in this blend. That’s an ingredient I don’t tend to be on good terms with.

Because I drastically oversteeped the first JOT sample I tried, I was very careful and diligent with my steeping of this one, and made sure to pull out the basket at precisely four minutes. Since I was sent samples specifically for reviewing, I feel very obligated to do a really good job. Steeped up, is smells like it could be a tad astringent, and has a very strong bergamot smell too.

Taste wise, I’m a very happy person. There actually isn’t any astringency which is awesome. The liquor has a thick, weighty mouthfeel to it and the black base is present (not completely masked by the bergamot) and tastes a little earthy and malty. The bergamot itself is somewhere balanced between weak and strong; for me, I’m finding it’s at a very nice middle ground. It’s also very rich and fresh tasting – and leaves an incredibly pleasant aftertaste in the mouth.

I am super impressed by this EG, and actually really sad this is a sipdown. I have lots of TARDIS and Cream of Earl Grey left, but once I’m out of both I would very seriously consider stocking this one above the other two.

Also, in other news I might have another roommate soon. My friend who was over yesterday is in a very awkward and inconvenient living situation right now (she’s in a one bedroom apartment living with her ex – and they’re actually sharing a bed right now because the place is too small for them not to). So Tre and I are very much considering the possibility of her coming and living with us.

It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch because there was originally going to be three people living here initially – and seeing as I sleep in the living room anyway, all I’d have to do is move my stuff from my bedroom and officially make the living room “my room” for her to have a place to stay. It’d help a lot with rent – and it’s not like she’s a ‘new’ friend. She’s from Tre’s graduating class, but was a very good friend to us both all throughout highschool.

So, I guess we’ll see what happens…

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: