drank Ruby Pie by Butiki Teas

Sipdown (170/174)!

In an effort to finish this guy off tonight I doubled up on the recommended leaf and used a slightly larger mug; I also added some milk. This is very good and hitting all the right notes tonight with the potent strawberry flavour and lovely black base.

I can’t believe my first experience with this one was so negative! Or rather I should say the circumstances surrounding when I drank the tea were really negative. I remember it being right around Christmas time and I had made myself this massive “breakfast at night” kind of meal with this huge plate of scrambled eggs and a mug of this. And then just minutes after finishing the eggs and this tea I got violently sick and threw everything up…

I thought that I would never not associate this tea with that circumstance; but thankfully even though that was a really unpleasant memory I’ve been able to enjoy pretty much every single cup of this since! Right now I’m all “Ruby Pie”ed out though so I’m glad this is a sipdown and I can spend some time apart from this blend. I know I’ll come back to it eventually though! It’s too good not to ;)

Courtney

That can totally ruin something for you. I made the mistake of eating one of the animal crackers from the dry tea one time. The dry flavouring on the tea turned my stomach so much I avoided this one for months. Thank goodness I got over it. And yay for you enjoying it now too!

ohfancythat (whatshesaid)

Glad I’m not the only weirdo who picks things out of the steeped tea blends to eat….haha. Like the pecans out of maple pecan oolong

This ruby pie is on my must try list! Next time, Butiki, next time

Scheherazade

I ate one of the bunny grahams, too, just out of curiosity. It had much the same effect on me, and I haven’t enjoyed any of my cups quite so much since! I guess I’ll come back to it eventually :)

ohfancythat (whatshesaid)

Ohh wait, I’m the weirdo who eats things out of the wet tea leaves, you guys are smart enough to do it ahead of time, haha.

Though I won’t be eating those cookie bits anytime soon I guess!

Comments

Courtney

This ruby pie is on my must try list! Next time, Butiki, next time

Scheherazade

ohfancythat (whatshesaid)

Though I won’t be eating those cookie bits anytime soon I guess!

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually four(ish) years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

My Goal for The New Year (2017) is to make time for at least one long, proper Gong Fu session every week because it’s something I deeply enjoy doing but struggle to make time for. I can’t say I’ve been doing great staying on track with this resolution.

My default for preparation is Western Style with zero additive. The exception to this is matcha which I drink in straight milk with no additives. So unless I mention otherwise you can assume that I’ve prepared my tea Western style without added ingredients/sweeteners.

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, often Chai spices in general, overly vegetal or marine/seaweed, chamomile, sometimes mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

I also have a mild allergy to mushrooms! You wouldn’t think that’d be an issue when it comes to tea – but you’d be surprised.

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Clay Pixiu Dragons: Zak & Wheezie
Clay Monkey: Enzo
Ruyao Carp: Splashy
Ceramic Rabbit: Rupert
Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket

If you see me writing about sharing tea with any of them that’s what I’m talking about ;)

I also have two real life pets:

The URL to my tumblr blog is: guyfierithirdandfinalantichrist

Regina, SK, Canada