Sipdown (191/196)!

I don’t think people understand that when a store closes at 9PM that doesn’t mean the employees go home at 9PM – it means that’s when we get to start closing; and for a big store like Dollarama it takes quite a while to close. Christ.

So, today at 8:55PM we had a lady come in and start shopping – FIVE MINUTES TO CLOSING. That wouldn’t have been such a big deal if she was just quickly grabbing one or two things – but that wasn’t the case; instead she had to do all her grocery shopping and buy all the stuff for her wedding: a few hundred fake white/yellow flowers, all our champagne flutes (which we have to wrap individually), place settings…

And because we weren’t closed yet we had to let her shop and stay open until she was done. Ughh! We didn’t even get to start closing until 9:40! Because of her me and my closing cashier both missed our buses. At least I’m within feasible walking distance: I felt really bad for Ruby though because this late at night the buses only stop by once an hour so she had to wait an extra long time to get home.

Fuck people.

But anyway; I finished this off in my timolino with milk today. Scratch another Butiki blend off the list, as well as one less black tea in my cupboard meaning more space in the closet for black blends! Hooray!

I’m not to sad to see this go; it’s way to hard to get it right. I don’t want to waste more time on it trying to perfect brewing it – so goodbye Irish Cream Cheesecake. It was an experience, at least…

OMGsrsly

Oh, that is so frustrating. I hope your co-worker got home OK.

CelebriTEA

You need to can an ok from higher up to be able to post a sign stating that after 8:45 pm you csn only accept orders of 6 items are less!

Cavocorax

That is soooo annoying. :| Aren’t you allowed to tell her at 9 that, “Sorry, the store is closed. Can you please come up to the till so we can check you out?” I’ve had a few customers screw me over like that as well, but they generally don’t stick around more than 5-10 minutes afterwards…

ohfancythat

Those people are the WORST. Like you have nothing better to do than wait around and serve them. The kind of person who has no respect for others or their time

Butiki Teas

Wow, so inconsiderate. Some people only think sbout themselves.

Indigobloom

Inconsiderate she is! Sometimes the customer is NOT right…

(channeling Yoda today)

Roswell Strange

I’m pretty sure those types of people are the ones who’ve never worked a guest service/retail job themselves… :/

VariaTEA

At the store I worked at, we started closing the tills at 9 so someone like that would be unable to make their purchase as the register was closed. Also, working in retail, I quickly learned how horrible customers can be. I mean, I once had a lady tell me to “go f*** myself” because I told her we stopped selling the comforter set she wanted two years ago. And when I apologized for the inconvenience and told her next time she should feel free to call us before making the drive to the store and we would be happy to check to save her the trip she told me to “f*** off” and then told her son to drop everything he was carrying on the floor.

Angrboda

Do you not have some sort of ‘we close in five minutes, please make your way to the tills’ call out or something? We do here. In Denmark, that lady would have been told (politely of course) that it was very close to closing time.

Roswell Strange

We’re not allowed to do a final call; store policy is to close at nine if no one is in the store but if people are still shopping to allow them to do so, uninterrupted, until they’re finished. @VariaTEA – I’ve definitely experienced that, and it really sucks. I’ve had people throw stuff at me because they can’t return/exchange it (Dollarama has a strict no returns or exchanges policy that’s advertised on all entrances and printed on every receipt). The best is when they ask/demand to speak to the person in charge: 9/10 that happens to be me, since I take over command of the store once my manager goes home for the day, which is usually half an hour after I’ve started my shift.

VariaTEA

People are the worst. And the final call thing is sort of bullshit since employees shouldn’t have to stay just because people are inconsiderate.

Cavocorax

That’s brutal. :| And it’s poor policy for your store. I can see someone being completely oblivious to closing time and would be completely understanding about hurry the F up, (and I can also see others who wouldn’t care.. but why not weed out those that do?)

Angrboda

So, when that happens, do you go away and come back immediately and ask what the problem is? :p

Roswell Strange

@Angrboda Man that would be hilarious; but I think would often piss them off even more :P

Probably… It’s the sort of thing one wishes one dared to do. :p

Comments

OMGsrsly

Oh, that is so frustrating. I hope your co-worker got home OK.

CelebriTEA

ohfancythat

Butiki Teas

Wow, so inconsiderate. Some people only think sbout themselves.

Indigobloom

Inconsiderate she is! Sometimes the customer is NOT right…

(channeling Yoda today)

Probably… It’s the sort of thing one wishes one dared to do. :p

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: