Sipdown (179/185)!

This is the first thing I’m having from the newest package of teas VariaTEA has sent me; it was the easiest to work into my tea line up for the day because I just made it alongside the other cup of matcha I was having this morning.

Man, this smells strong! What’s the flavouring level here? Because I cracked open the package from you and literally this is the first thing I could smell. It was intense, even after VariaTEA double bagging it! Good intense though; like marzipan and yum!

Whisked into milk, it frothed up at a seriously insane level. Like, I had to wait for the froth to go away so I could pour more milk in the cup – the froth was taking up all the space! And it tasted pretty good; really strong and very rich and marzipan like. I would have enjoyed it an awful lot but I found that there was a faint chemical edge to the aftertaste. Like it was almost too much almond concentrated into the one cup of cold milk.

I have to say, I’m glad I got this from you because I was semi curious about it, and it’s Red Leaf’s free tea sample of the month for June so I think I would have picked up the free sample if I hadn’t got this from you. But now trying it I can say that yeah this is really good but just the one experience is probably enough to keep my satisfied especially given how much matcha I have on hand right now anyway.

Thanks VariaTEA!

Flavors: Almond, Marzipan

VariaTEA

NayLynn was actually the one who sent this to me and she was the smart one who thought to double bag it. I simply passed it along so you can try all the matchas too :)

Roswell Strange

Thanks to NayLynn too then!

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

Thanks to NayLynn too then!

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: