Sipdown (125)!

So I just have a Youtube playlist going right now while I write tasting notes, and Oingo Boingo’s Little Girls just started playing and I swear I heard Tre say from his room “See, I told you” to his date – and now I want to know what he’s saying about me! Dammit Tre; I don’t say bad shit about you (often). And it’s a good song!

But the tea; this is the savory tea I was more looking forward to! And it’s totally ‘cause of the chive in it. Damn I love chives. I remember, when I was like six or seven, running through my Grandma’s garden during the summer with my brother and cousin and getting in so much trouble for picking all the chives out of the garden and eating them. But they were so fresh and delicious! I have no self control; I just couldn’t help myself. It was like they were asking to be eaten.

But dry; I don’t smell chives (or spinach, for that matter). Instead I smell an overwhelming amount of dill and a surprising amount of lime. The dill is so strong I was instantly reminded of when I worked at The Galaxy and we’d get giant boxes of popcorn shakers in the back, one of which was Dill Pickle. Occasionally you’d have to crack open one of the boxes when we ran out, and you’d be enveloped by a wave of whatever flavour the shaker was. When someone opened the Dill Pickle one it was so strong you’d just instantly go into a sneezing fit – and for the next two or three minutes all you could smell was dill pickle popcorn shaker.

So yeah, lots and lots of dill here.

And once I poured the water over it that didn’t change. This is like 90% dill, and then 7% lime, and I guess that last 3% would be chives? I can taste the chive, but just barely. There’s also a vegetal quality here (other than the vegetables I’ve listed…) that’s indicative of the green base. It works. So all in all I’m a bit let done because I wanted chives, like from my childhood. That tea sounded promising! But I still like this for what it is; I just think a different name would fit better.

Also, I feel like I should be dipping those Swiss Cheese crackers (you know, the ones with the holes in ‘em) in this. That’d compliment this tea so well. Like, so well.

EDIT: And I should totally be thanking Cameron B. for the sample! Durr.

Flavors: Dill, Lime

Cheri

Disappointing. I love fresh chives. I ordered a baked potato the other day because the menu said it came with sour cream and chives. It didn’t have chives on it, though, it had scallions. That’s such a different creature than chives. I was so disappointed.

Comments

Cheri

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – the only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Man: Leopold

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA