Abstract thought, but I’ve been craving a tea with a really strong petrichor kind of flavour as of late. If anyone has any recommendations for something sort of like that I’d be stoked to hear them!

So, I don’t think I’ve really talked about it much or even at all in tasting notes but this weekend I went up to Regina to celebrate an early Christmas with my brother, Dad and Step Mom. We exchanged gifts, went to Cirque De Soleil as part of our Christmas present, and I did some tea shopping! It was really fun and I’ll kind of break things down a little in the next few tasting notes but it was a much needed mini vacation from work, and it was cool going back to Regina even if only briefly. I wish I’d had another day there to try and meet up with Regina Tea Friends, and maybe go to a movie at the theatre I used to work at.

But before all that, we had to drive from my house to Regina. And this was the cold brew that I picked out to sip on for the drive there. It’s not new to me, so no surprises here: just good, authentic and lush watermelon over a beautiful silver needle base. Glad I stocked up on this one! My first Butiki love…

OMGsrsly

Cold brew, huh? I need to try that.

Dexter

Petrichor is the scent of rain on dry earth, or the scent of dust after rain. Yes I’m admitting that I had to look it up. ;))
I’m voting for a light sheng. IMHO pu’erh has a bit of an earthiness to them – subterranean is a word I like. GREAT pu’erh has that clean damp forest after a rain thing going on. I’m assuming that would count. So that’s my vote. A really nice light earthy sheng (I think shou wouldn’t quite be what you are looking for – but I could be wrong…)

Roswell Strange

Petrichor is my favourite smell, ever ;) But will keep that in mind Dex!

carol who

Thanks for defining petrichor… I bet we all did a search on that as soon as we read it. ;-0 Roswell Strange you get the prize for Word of the Day! :D

OMGsrsly

The puerh I got from SOKO kinda has that, but also has a mushroom/dirt going on. I call it “wet forest”. :)

Stephanie

I drank this one on Sunday too :)

Roswell Strange

Technically I had this on Saturday ;)

Comments

OMGsrsly

Cold brew, huh? I need to try that.

Dexter

Roswell Strange

Petrichor is my favourite smell, ever ;) But will keep that in mind Dex!

carol who

Stephanie

I drank this one on Sunday too :)

Roswell Strange

Technically I had this on Saturday ;)

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: