Cringe.

Kind of embarrassed to be writing about this one? I hate Tetley. With a passion. But oh well; it’s what my Aunt served Christmas day (I think it’s what she served last year too?) and honestly it wasn’t awful. Very woody though, from the low quality rooibos.

I had a surprisingly nice time at my Aunt’s this year – better than last year for sure. We had a really nice home cooked meal: Butternut Squash with maple syrup, beets, a feta/strawberry salad (my contribution; it felt good to be able to add something this year), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and a vegetarian meat loaf made using lentils and nuts among other things (which was delicious!). And then Pumpkin Pie for dessert, and other goodies to munch on throughout the night. And of course the meat eaters had turkey.

We watched A Christmas Story which was hilarious like usual. I haven’t seen it in a long time, and it was kind of nostalgic because we used to watch it every Christmas before my mom and Step Dad got divorced, and then we didn’t watch it anymore. There were even jokes I picked up on this year that I’d always missed before. Hooray life experience/getting older!?

And then my Aunt and I had an oddly pleasant conversation about Christianity (we have very different religious views; part of why last year sucked). Shockingly we saw eye to eye on a lot of stuff (stuff many Christians actively ignore/deny) like the fact that if he was real Jesus would NOT have been white/Caucasian, and his birthday isn’t actually/literally December 25th: we just choose to celebrate it on that day because Christians were trying to erase pagan Yule celebrations. That outlook was surprisingly more “open minded” than I expected of her, and was actually brought up more by her than me.

And finally we ended the night with a few games of scrabble. I actually won my very first scrabble game ever, by a lot, and then brutally lost the second one we did. But it was fun! My mom always kicks my ass, apologetically, at Scrabble.

carol who

Sounds like a good day! Your salad sounds very yummy!

TeaKlutz

I’m glad you had a good Christmas! I also rewatched A Christmas Story for the first time since I was a kid, and I picked up on all kinds of things I never had before, which made it all the more fun.

Comments

carol who

Sounds like a good day! Your salad sounds very yummy!

TeaKlutz

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: