Sipdown (116)!

Thank you VariaTEA for the sample! I definitely toyed with picking this one up, but I have another Coffee/Mocha Rooibos blend I usually keep stocked up so I figured that it probably wasn’t worth ordering since I didn’t anticipate it to be much different. But definitely glad it worked out and I’m getting a taste after all!

It’s been a while since I had actual coffee ice cream; and I always associate it with this cat I used to own named Peanuts. Back when I was, uhh, maybe five I was living in Moosejaw but would drive down to this small town called Eyebrow every other weekend to visit my Dad. Eyebrow’s a retirement community kind of out in the middle of nowhere; it’s population is probably like 200 people MAX; most of which are seniors. There’s an elementary school there that’s K-12 with all the students feeding in from about five other comparably sized communities in the area. All the kids are basically the children of farmers, the younger people who own/operate the few businesses in the area (a restaurant, bank, ice cream shop, and a few grocery stores spread throughout the different towns) and the teachers themselves. My grandparents and one of my Aunt’s live there, and at one point so did I.

But that’s all kind of beside the point; the point is I had a cat named Peanuts. He was the runt of the litter and never grew more than the size of a kitten. My Dad is a big fan of coffee ice cream so we always had a big tub of it, and he’d set out this teeny tiny little bowl with a scoop of coffee ice cream for the cat. Of course it made him go kind of crazy; and in hindsight it probably was terrible for him but at the time I thought it was so funny. And that’s ALWAYS what I think of whenever I see/have coffee ice cream…

Taste wise; I definitely get the coffee and a bit of slight roasty flavour but I think I might be missing the ice cream component. I do taste a little vanilla, but nothing creamy per se. It’s a little disappointing but this still tastes pretty divine. The honeybush pokes through a fair bit though so it’s definitely not for people who dislike rooibos/honeybush and the woody kind of taste. What the vanilla is reminding me of is those vanilla wafers that grandparents always seem to have on hand; when I first started drinking coffee I’d always dip those wafers into it. I also drowned it in milk, but that’s beside the point too. A few sips seemed to have a metallic tang to the aftertaste, but it wasn’t unpleasant – just a touch weird.

Definitely happy I tried this one if for no other reason but to have that bit of nostalgia. I like the Latte Macciato I keep stocked a little bit better just for the hint of chocolate it has, but this was tasty too! And definitely more different than I thought it’d be.

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients: