drank Mango Matcha by DAVIDsTEA

Stopped at DAVIDsTEA on the way home, after work, yesterday. I was hoping to get one of the samples of Peanut Butter Cup that they were giving away but I was a little too late and my store had run out; despite that I still ended up grabbing 10g of Midsummer Night’s Dream – a blend I used to love and wanted to revisit, and a free 50g of Ceremonial Matcha as well as this tea, as an iced latte!

To be perfectly honest, I really hated the last DT flavoured matcha that I tried and I hadn’t intended to try another one but when I saw that the ingredients for this blend didn’t include coconut sugar but instead used cane sugar I figured I would give this a chance to see if it was any better. Of course, since I had it in store I can’t really say too much about the dry leaf – one of my biggest problems with the mint matcha was how incredibly clumpy the dry leaf was and I don’t really know if that’s an issue with this tea. For what it’s worth, it did stay relatively suspended in my iced latte and at the bottom I wasn’t met with a whole bunch of matcha which had sunk back down. I mean, that could be because a lot of this tea isn’t ‘matcha’ but the sugar acting as a filler but that’s a whole ’nother thing…

One thing about matcha in milk is of course it always kind of mutes the flavour of the matcha and I definitely was surprised how mild the mango tasted in comparison to everything else, and while I do believe that was partially because of the milk I also watched the barista include four perfect teaspoons of matcha which is so much more than I ever would have myself so you can’t entirely blame the milk for the mild mango flavour.

That in mind, I really enjoyed the flavour of the matcha – it was very creamy with pronounced marine notes like seaweed and a kind of ‘ocean’ freshness as well as a bit of a grassy or ‘hay’ flavour. Really delicious; and a huge step up from the Mint Matcha. I also just have to note how pretty this latte looked; it was this really lovely pastel green kind of colour and just really aesthetically breathtaking.

Overall; I’m still not jumping on the DT ‘flavored matcha’ bandwagon but I do think this is an improvement (though I’d be happier if DT stopped presweetening my teas for me) on their first batch of matchas which used that coconut sugar.

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Old Man: Leopold

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA