I made this tea last night; it’s a very aesthetically pretty tea with lots of golden tips throughout. I’d say the ratio is probably somewhere like 1:3 of the leaf is tips which certainly isn’t bad. The brewed up liquor was very dark; almost opaque in colour actually. To me, that definitely signified that this was going to be a strong, full bodied brew.

And it certainly was; in fact it was a little rough in addition to have a strong, brisk flavour. There were definitely very characteristic Assam flavours present like malt and a dark chocolate. It was a little bittersweet; perhaps in part from the chocolate notes and maybe in part because of the rougher overall mouthfeel/taste of the tea. This is possibly from over steeping, though if that’s the case then I’d say I only very slightly oversteeped – which would mean this is a more finicky/picky tea.

Other notes I found present were a kind of coffee grounds flavour, and somewhat of a ‘stale’ graham cracker flavour. Overall, not the smoothest Assam but good regardless. I think it’d definitely be a good candidate from a splash of milk, and morning consumption rather than evening.

I wanted to review this one on SororiTea Sisters but I couldn’t find the tea company it’s from online; if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Roswell Strange

I thought so, but can’t find a tea by this name on their site.

Nicole

They don’t have it at the moment. Makes me sad because I’d like some more. It is from Golden Tips Tea Co. and the link is right.

Lindsay

Actually I think they just added it back! In the new arrivals section: http://goldentipstea.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/assam-enigma-second-flush-black-tea

Nicole

Nooooo…. and they have a sale this weekend!

Comments

Roswell Strange

I thought so, but can’t find a tea by this name on their site.

Lindsay

Nicole

Nooooo…. and they have a sale this weekend!

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: