#ProjectTeaWall

Obviously, obviously, obviously I’ve had English Breakfast before. It was just a matter of having this English Breakfast. I chose to drink it with milk/honey because that’s how so many people drink it and I wanted to get a good feel for how this one would taste the way more of our customers seem to prepare it.

I mean, not a lot to say. It was English Breakfast!? Strong, brisk, bold and takes milk and sweetener really well. Personally, I still prefer Irish Breakfast but this is a solid choice too. Now I only have one more “Breakfast” blend to check off for project tea wall; “David’s Breakfast” – the DT specialty one. I guess I’ll soon see how that one stacks up…

Flavors: Malt, Raisins

Jillian

I read somewhere that English Breakfast teas are supposed to taste a bit like toast. I’m not sure how true that is or if there really is all that much difference between English/Irish/Scottish/French/Canadian Breakfast Teas

Roswell Strange

I’ve never heard the toast thing, but that’s interesting.

I’ll admit to not being as familiar with Scottish/French/Canadian breakfast blends, but I know that I can tell English/Irish apart on taste alone. Irish is far, far more malty tasting IMO which is why I like it. English tends to taste a lot more raisin-y to me, probably because traditionally it’s blended largely with Kenyan black tea which I find has a really distinct raisin/brisk lemon quality. Irish Breakfast, on the other hand, is much more weighted towards Assam teas which is where the maltyness/sweetness comes from.

Jillian

cool, I didn’t know that!

eastkyteaguy

I don’t know if this is true, but I recall reading somewhere that there were originally many differences between the breakfast teas. I have heard that Irish blends were originally Assam blends. I know that many contemporary Irish blends derive their maltiness from Assam. English breakfast teas were supposedly Keemun blends, though they began to incorporate teas from India, Sri Lanka, and eventually Africa as access to Chinese teas became more limited.

Comments

Jillian

Roswell Strange

I’ve never heard the toast thing, but that’s interesting.

Jillian

cool, I didn’t know that!

eastkyteaguy

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a twenty something tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients:

Tea Pet Reference Guide:

Clay Pixiu Dragons: Zak & Wheezie
Clay Monkey: Enzo
Ruyao Carp: Splashy
Ceramic Rabbit: Rupert
Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket

I also have two real life pets:

SK, Canada