Sipdown (207)!

One of three free sachets that Kusmi sent with my recent order.

Despite not loving green tea in general, this one wasn’t too bad. I definitely think that, based on my previous experiences and this one, green Darjeelings are more weighted towards the flavour notes that are distinct in typical Chinese greens rather than Japanese. This one read as very grassy to me, as well as having lemony undertones and timothy hay notes. It was pretty smooth, without any real astringency.

It made for a nice thoughtless cup to sip on while watching The 100 with roommates and nomming on some vegetarian Sushi. Green tea in general tends to work well with sushi, and in this case it was the lemon notes pairing the best with the food. A Japanese green would have been more appropriate, but this was still quite good.

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – the only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Man: Leopold

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA