From my mom’s BC Vacation haul.

When she stopped at Cloud Mountain Tea House I asked her to pick out a mix of stuff she found interesting and just whatever the owner recommended trying; according to her, this was his top pick/recommendation for something really unique and worth trying.

I do really, really love Lapsang Souchong – both smoked and unsmoked, like this one. So I was excited that this was one of the teas I wound up with. I’m drinking it this morning as a lazy morning cuppa to kind of ease into the day. It’s a very relaxing flavour profile, so it’s working well for this purpose.

I’d call it sort of medium bodied, with very smooth and gentle flavours. It’s interesting to me that the owner describes this as more of an oolong flavour because that’s exactly what I was thinking with my first few sips, before reading the description of the tea. Personally, Rou Gui sort of springs to mind. You know, that very smooth warming spice/cinnamon sort of quality with a mix of accompanying notes: some roast and malt, wood/bark, a stonefruit/peachy kind of sweetness but perhaps most importantly a floral kind of finish. Heady florals; florals with weight to them. It also has a bit of a quince sort of undertone, as well as honey and baked bread.

I’m really enjoying it, and this is one that mom got a larger amount of so I’ll definitely be able to try Gong Fuing it in addition to just having more really nice mugs of it too.

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients: