Sipdown (482)!

It’s been a long time since I’ve had new Butiki teas in my cupboard; or ‘new to me’ at least. However, I just got several from the always overly kind and generous Kittenna as part of a swap. Teaware for tea samples, though.

I can’t remember why I originally skipped this one when it first launched years ago; maybe just ‘cause there were so many other Butiki blends to try? And I definitely had a smaller tea budget. I’m glad I’m trying it now.

It’s kind of weird, to be honest, but at the very least the dry aroma works for me. It actually still smells really strongly of melon after all this time – but I actually thought it was watermelon over cantaloupe. It smells more like watermelon to me, almost exactly like Watermelon Xylophone but with this malty/earthy undertone to it. Less creamy than Butiki’s white based melon teas, for sure.

Taste wise it’s not as strongly melon as both dry and steeped aroma are; but it is there. I imagine it would have been a much more punchy flavour when this one first came out, but the subtle watermelon in the body of the sip is still nice. I don’t get malt so much; in fact I get more of an earthiness – so much so I actually had to double check this one was a black tea and not a shou. It’s also a little salty, and I can’t place where that’s coming from. I’m actually really into it though – salted watermelon is very much a lovely and delicious thing and to me this is just reading as a fun recreation of that treat.

I wont rate it ’cause I doubt this is good representation of what the tea was intended to be like, but I had a fun time experiencing this one!

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbnVMSYVbvA&list=WL&index=5

So, it feels almost blasphemous to me to not be listening to some Pink Floyd with this one but this is what was speaking to me when I steeped up the tea. I’ve been on an indie/rap kind of kick lately. Actually, though, I think I may have picked this one kind of because of some word association though; the album image for the track is of a horned melon, so…

Kittenna

I didn’t know you’d missed this one! I ended up with quite a bit of it, and then had very mixed feelings about it. The watermelon was indeed a little stronger originally, but if I recall correctly, it wasn’t overly so. I couldn’t tell you where any saltiness would be coming from – you’re making me want to try it again!

Comments

Kittenna

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: