drank Green Spiral by DAVIDsTEA

Yay new straight teas!

These are almost always my favourite collections to come out during the year – something about the idea of introducing a whole new range of tea drinkers to what are often some pretty classic types of tea is just… thrilling!

We all know I’m not generally a huge green tea person, but if I’m gonna drink a straight green it’s gonna be a Chinese one and this is a type (Bi Luo Chun) that I haven’t had horrid experiences with. In fact, ever since I had my first cup of this one I’ve found myself craving a second. Which is definitely weird for me.

I found it very smooth and crisp, with clean flavour notes and a sturdy finish. The main taste I got was actually the one that DT uses to describe the flavour profile – lettuce. They say romaine lettuce, I say a mix of romaine and more water heavy iceburg lettuce. Almost all the vegetal notes were ones I’d say are more water based – like celery. Finish had some sweetness to it, which DT describes as ‘fennel’. I think that’s a little bit of a stretch (anise is a little more accurate to me; the green bulbs of it and not star anise_ but I can see the comparison even still.

I think fans of green tea will really enjoy this one.

Arby

I’m really happy to see straight teas again. I liked their last selection and am excited to try these.

eastkyteaguy

What a coincidence that I was drinking a Yunnan Bi Luo Chun as I was reading this note.

eastkyteaguy

On an unrelated note, I often wish that DAVIDsTEA would do a little more to emphasize their straight teas. I know that they don’t really make their money from them, but still it would be nice.

Roswell Strange

It’s definitely not our main selling demographic, that’s for sure – but I definitely echo your sentiment. I think the people who these teas generally already appeal to often do a decent job of keeping themselves informed; I have the same handful of people who are VERY into the straight & traditional teas who always seem to gravitate back into the store during straight tea collection launch week, and they always already know all about the new straight teas. They’re some of my favourite people to talk to because I always get to have really, really thorough conversations with them & you can always feel the mutual appreciation of having someone to talk to who is just as into tea as you are.

If they were better advertised, I think you’d have more people converting from flavoured to straight teas though – or at least just incorporating them into their rotation of favourites.

Comments

Arby

Roswell Strange

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: