I’ve had this one twice now, both times iced.

The first time I had it I actually liked it a fair bit. I mean, it wasn’t one of those “Wow, OMG!” teas but it was solid – and very fun because (due to the Spirulina and Butterfly Pea Flower) it brews up a brilliant dark blue colour. This actually isn’t my first Spirulina tea; I’ve got one from Cornelia Bean with a very different flavour profile. I think it’s a cool ingredient to use in tea, and was excited to see we were doing a take on it.

Taste wise, it’s got a lot of Moringa in it, and I find that makes it taste like a sort of passion fruit/grapefruit kind of combo, with the undertones of the coconut in the blend. It was pretty medium bodied and smooth, and made for a refreshing iced tea.

However, the same day I tried my first iced glass of this I also went out for sushi with a few friends – and I ended up getting super sick. I spent the entire next morning just completing throwing up, feeling incredibly queasy, and the sight of ANYTHING food or drink wise just made it worse. The kicker, though, was that all my vomit was tinted blue. That’s probably an overshare, but it ties into what I’m about to say next…

So, a few days later I’m feeling fine and am back at work. We were really demoing this tes/hyping it up because it’s brand new. I decided to make myself an iced cup of it ’cause all that talk about it all day was kind of making me crave it. Association is a powerful thing my friends; I took one sip of it and I just felt like I was going to get sick all over again. I could not drink it; it just brought me right back to how awful and ill I felt when I had, what was likely, food poisoning.

In fact, even the smell of this one now makes me gag.

I completely DO NOT blame the tea at all – but I think I’m going to perma associate this one with that terrible, negative experience and just wont be able to touch this one again.

Mastress Alita

I got food poisoning on my birthday, and the only other thing I’d had that day other than my birthday dinner was tea (a matcha latte and a birthday cake rooibos). Thankfully the dinner was so overpowering I didn’t really notice any of the tea and didn’t form any associations with it, but it was the worst case of food poisoning I’d ever had and major dehydration set in. I’m so sorry to hear you recently had to go through that as well.

Roswell Strange

Years ago, I had the flu on Christmas – I had been drinking non stop tea all day and then completely threw it all up. It tasted so potently of one of the Butiki teas I had been drinking that for a short time I was completely turned off Butiki in general. I got over it though, so maybe I’ll get over this one…

Mastress Alita

Ouch! It’ll probably just take time, and possibly some slow reintroduction of individual flavors/ingredients. I certainly hope I’ll be able to eat hamburgers again, but it’s been a month since that food poisoning run-in and I haven’t exactly had a craving yet, heh. Thank goodness I dodged the tea bullet, considering how much I drink in a day!

Comments

Mastress Alita

Roswell Strange

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – the only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Man: Leopold

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA