Gong Fu!

Another new to me Butiki blend that I’m trying courtesy of the wonderful Starfevre!

I couldn’t remember what teas made up this ‘breakfast blend’ like mix when I was steeping it, so I wasn’t sure if they were necessarily black teas that are usually Gong Fu brewed or more Western inclined. It was interesting trying it blind though, because it was kind of like a test for me. You know, can I decipher the common flavour notes associated with each kind of black tea in the mix?

All in all I got roughly ten infusions out of this one before the leaf had tapered off to a point where I wasn’t interested in infusing more. The predominant note I experienced throughout the entire session was that of raisins/muscatel grapes. I thought that was actually really weird because it’s not often that you see a Darjeeling tea in a breakfast blend, and given the name of the blend is seemed especially strange to me. I was really feeling that sort of second flush Darjeeling kind of profile, though. And you know what? Sure enough it turns out that there is Darjeeling in the mix!

Apart from that very strong part of the overall profile, there were also notes of malt, rye bread, lemon pith, and lilacs. The rye bread notes were more prominent in the first infusions which were stronger/more intense overall and then more of that lemon pith and subtle floral/lilac quality because noticeable near the end of the session where the flavours were a bit more tapped out and mild/less powerful.

It was very pleasant, and really quite interesting.

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiCksG9nyb-/?taken-by=ros_strange

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients: