Gong Fu Sipdown (552)!

Finished this one off earlier this afternoon; it was a really nice session. Basically I just popped on some Beatles music, grabbed some paper to take notes and just tuned out. You can check out some photos on my instagram here:

Otherwise, the following is just what I wrote down with each infusion…

Steep One – 5 Seconds
– Buttery vegetal aroma
- Grass notes, buttered green beans, romaine lettuce
- Bok Choy???
- Lots of flavor for a first infusion

Steep Two – 5 Seconds
- Same as prior but sharper/grassier
- Has a very soft bitter aftertaste

Steep Three – 10 Seconds
- Fennel top notes
- Sweet undertones
- Still quite buttery (lettuce/romaine/green beans)
- Less bitter than the previous steep

Steep Four – 15 Seconds
- Yellower tint to liquor colour
- Ditto to steep three, but smoother overall
- Cleaner finish

_Steep Five – 18 Seconds
- Flavour deterioration, in particular with vegetal elements
- But still bean-y
- Also has a peachyness to it
- And the finish is less clean, more lingering

Steep Six – 25 Seconds
- Meh; kind of bored with this one
- Flavor is also a little more flat
- No more buttery element, but more peach

And that’s where I left things. I know I could have done more, and honestly I did really enjoy the session – the problem for me is that as much as I enjoyed this overall it is a green tea, and even a good green tea is one that I grow sick of SO quickly. Six infusions was plenty for me; any more than that and I think I would have started resenting the tea/its profile.

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer living in Saskatchewan, Canada. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Least favourite flavours/ingredients: