drank Seaberry Spa by DAVIDsTEA

It definitely saddens me that this tea isn’t super widely popular because I think it’s such a unique and well balanced offering from DT – something a little outside of the typical type of blend they release, and I want to reward teas like that…

I have a theory about this tea though:

The bulk of people who shop at DT are definitely new(er) tea drinkers and people with less tea exposure and quite often they gravitate towards very flavourful blends that are easy to grasp concepts and direct recreations of familiar flavours – Hot Chocolate, Cotton Candy, Silk Dragon Jasmine, etc. They don’t tend to enjoy this tea so much. On the flip side, people who have a great degree of tea exposure and who lean more towards straight/traditional or more nuanced/layered flavour profile seem to enjoy this tea more. I think that’s because it’s pretty well balanced, and dips its toes into being a bit fruity, a bit floral, a bit savory – but not really strongly one or the other.

It’s a flavoured tea for straight tea drinkers – one of those weird “transitional” kind of teas that rides the cusp of flavoured and more craft/layered/nuanced ‘fancy teas’.

Which is just not (the bulk of) the DT demographic…

Flavors: Cranberry, Floral, Herbaceous

Evol Ving Ness

hmm, thanks for pointing that out, Ms. Strange. I might give it a wee whirl if it is still around.

CrowKettle

Yeah, I wish this blend was better known and loved too. I was pleasantly surprised by it, and never would’ve tried it if it weren’t part of a giftbox from one of my coworkers (everyone at our office who tried it liked it too)!Thanks for the reminder to pick up more sometime! :)

Evol Ving Ness

Gah! Today would’ve been a good day to do this to benefit from the 2x FS point offer. Gah and gah again!

Comments

Evol Ving Ness

CrowKettle

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: