Sipdown (602)!

Thank you to AprTea for giving me this free sample – I do love a good golden bud hongcha, and this one is really fucking pretty. Of course, pretty doesn’t always = delicious but, well, in this case? Well, it does.

I’ve had mixed success with the teas from Apr Tea Mall, but this is probably the nicest one so far. I brewed it in a black tea dedicated yixing pot, and while I did find it brewed out REALLY quickly (significant decline by steep four) it was quite tasty! The more prominent note was this interesting sort of “golden syrup” kind of flavour that was pleasant, especially in combo with the other flavours. I also got lots of malt, and some sweet potato and lighty burnt toast/French Bread. In the third steep I also note a hint of cocoa and red fruit, which weren’t really so present in the others – especially the red fruit notes.

Really liked this one!

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByOBBCfAArK/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CltJ7WF7ohs&list=LL1M1wDjmJD4SJr_CwzXAGuQ&index=42&t=0s

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: