drank Grilled Pineapple by 52teas

Fuck, I love this a lot.

I mean it’s a fairly simple blend conceptually but everything is just so well balanced. The dry leaf smells like really good tangy, overripe pineapple with the faintest hint of smoke and an overall savory kind of quality. I asked my manager to smell it, without knowing what it was, and he described it as “Pineapple BBQ Sauce” which, like, yeah! In a great way!

Steeped up it’s also just beautifully well balanced; the pineapple is the main note and it has that syrupy overripe pineapple quality while still being very tangy but it doesn’t in any way overpower the rest of what’s going on either and it’s not cloying. The smoke note from the lapsang comes out a bit more in the steeped tea than it does in the dry aroma but it’s so good – it really added this savory element that makes me feel exactly like I’m grilling pineapple in the back yard on a hot summery day; and that savory/smokey quality with the pineapple!? Peak flavour juxtaposition! Aside from those two main elements, there’s some malt and raisin notes from the non Lapsang black tea used that also just work perfectly with everything else.

It’s the concept fully realized, in my opinion! I love it at much as 52Teas’ Pineapple Bacon Rooibos – one of my favourite pineapple teas of all time. It’s that same sort of savory and sweet play on pineapple and I just adore that.

Fuck yeah, Anne! Nailed it!

52Teas

That intro is awesome!

Comments

52Teas

That intro is awesome!

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: