Well, this definitely isn’t the freshest matcha anymore – but it’s still ok.

Flavour wise, this still tastes like a buttery vanilla cake frosting to me, but this cup also had a sharpness to it that was like a sour grassy note – possibly from being overleafed? Possibly from age? I’m not sure what exactly caused it but it’s not something I’ve observed in this way from this matcha before. The colour was also REALLY dark blue; sort of a murky blue-y green colour that reminded me more of concentrated spirulina that the brilliant blue you usually get from butterfly pea flowers. It was good overall in terms of flavour and I’d rather this be ‘overly blue’ than not blue at all given that’s what the selling point of the tea actually is.

But the texture! Ugh, the texture! The butterfly is just so mealy – and it floats on the surface of the liquor because it’s so light and isn’t finely ground down like the matcha. Really detracts from the experience and it makes me feel like I need to strain my matcha – which is a sentence I should never have to utter for matcha.

VariaTEA

Do you put this in water or milk? Hot or cold? and how much? I have a sample and want to get the most out of it :)

Roswell Strange

This time it was in water, but usually I whisk it/shake it into straight cold milk and I think that does taste better.

VariaTEA

I will do that then. Thank you :)

VariaTEA

Do you use the same 1/2 tsp/cup measurement as usual?

Comments

VariaTEA

Roswell Strange

VariaTEA

I will do that then. Thank you :)

VariaTEA

Do you use the same 1/2 tsp/cup measurement as usual?

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – those only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients: