drank Juniper Joy by DAVIDsTEA

Another new tea from the New Year’s stuff this year!

This is a weird one for me, and not really because of the tea itself but more just because I saw the tea go through a TON of changes through development up until the final blend. There’s an earlier version of it that’s a lot more forward on the strawberry flavour and a little less lemongrass heavy that I just adored – but I do really like the final version as well.

I think I just want more fruity black teas on the wall in general which might bias me a little bit, but this is a fun mix! It’s still strawberry tasting – more of that cooked down and dense strawberry leaning towards being jammy, and less a bright/fresh strawberry taste. I get a little lemongrass and some more herbal elements from the ingredients like the nettle, but the best part to me is the pine notes from the juniper. I like juniper a lot and have often been known to pre crush the juniper in my measured out tea leaf in order to extract extra pine notes and make it really strong. I think the strawberry and very, very slight tartness go together with it so well! It reminds me of a some type of especially botanical forward gin based cocktail with like a strawberry simple syrup made from cooked down strawberries and I am sssoooooo here for that!

I have drank a lot of this tea over the last year – and I don’t really know that other people will appreciate it as much as I have because I don’t know how commercial juniper/gin are as flavours, but I hope the strawberry makes it more approachable because I think it’s a pretty cool blend of ingredients and a nice tea!

Martin Bednář

Juniper in tea? Sounds interesting!

Comments

Martin Bednář

Juniper in tea? Sounds interesting!

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

I drink a balance of flavoured tea and straight/traditional teas – in all formats. I prefer to have a wide, and general knowledge over many types of teas and catagories rather than focus on any one specific tea: a jack of all teas, master of none. Loose, bagged, matcha, Western style, iced, latted, Gongfu…

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – the only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “exploratory” phase…

I like to listen to music when drinking tea, especially when I’m brewing a large pot at a time or steeping Gongfu. Often I curate very intentional tea and music pairings, and sometimes I share them here in my tasting reviews. Music is something that I find can deeply affect the experience of having tea.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Man: Leopold
Brass Mouse: Stilton

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA