#adventageddon Day Twenty – 1/6

Today was awesome, but not because of the advent teas. No, what was really amazing was finally meeting VariaTEA in person after seven years of tea swaps! We met up at the DT office where I got to give her a tour (and tease some upcoming teas) and have a quick little Gongfu session as well as a QC tasting, and then I gave her a frankly absurd amount of tea samples – followed by some poutine! It was absolutely lovely meeting you in person!!

Of course, I asked for hot water at the restaurant because I still had advent teas to get through today even it was the last day of work at the office before our holiday break and I was spending the afternoon with VariaTEA – this was the only bagged advent tea that I had left at this point, so it’s the one I made.

To be honest it wasn’t unpleasant but it was a little bit boring. I don’t know why there have been so many advent days where it’s just felt like the flavour profiles selected by tea companies have just overlapped, but there were two Earl Grey blends in today’s selections. This was definitely the better of the two (the other being Tea Revv’s Ice Cream Earl Grey) but I didn’t think there were any unique or differentiating notes in the cup. It was a good lunch tea, I suppose – since it was a reliable but typical EG profile.

Shae

What a fun day!

Leafhopper

That sounds like a fun tea meetup! Too bad I’m in Toronto. :(

@leafhopper….there are a few folks in Toronto on steepster, or nearby
@roswell so glad you guys got a chance to meet finally!

Comments

Shae

What a fun day!

Leafhopper

That sounds like a fun tea meetup! Too bad I’m in Toronto. :(

@leafhopper….there are a few folks in Toronto on steepster, or nearby
@roswell so glad you guys got a chance to meet finally!

Hello;

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

You name it, I probably drink it.

In that vein, I’ll drink just about any type of tea – the only ones I have a particularly strong distaste for are green teas and Chai, with some exceptions of course. I have a weird relationship with Sheng pu’erh, but have been gradually increasing the amount of it I consume – currently I have a particular fascination with Yiwu Sheng. Other types of tea that I greatly enjoy are Yancha and other dark, heavily oxidized or roasted oolongs, most shou, black tea, and compressed/aged white teas. I’ll absolutely try anything once though; and I like to have an open mind and explore lots of tea types, even if I have reservations. I’ll probably never leave that “Exploratory” phase…

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:

Ceramic Horse: Bergamot
Ceramic Snail: Snicket
Ceramic Cat: Saffron
Wood Fired Man: Leopold

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA