Gongfu!

I absolutely adore the strong syrupy medicinal orange flavour of snow chrysanthemum with all its weird quirky undertones, like the occasional dill note. Yunnan Sourcing has a black tea cake pressed with it as well, called “Drunk on Red” – that’s one of my go to favourites that I seem to be able to enjoy no matter my mood or how I brew it. Sadly, these Dragon Balls live in the shadow of that glorious tea. The tea session was alright, but lacking. I think it needed even more Snow Chrysanthemum, tbh…

Photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLu3iWWA07D/

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9G9zQOKuc&ab_channel=GradyStrange

Michelle

I was very happy that my pouch of Snow Chrysanthemum from Vitalleaf lasted so long, I have a scoop or two left that I will savor. I found an Etsy store selling Snow Chrysanthemum but it’s not as spicy as the Vital leaf. I’ll need to experiment with more flowers in the brew to see if I can get a comparable cup. Mountain Herbs was the Etsy store and it took two months to get it from China.

TeaEarleGreyHot

Ros, have you tried the 2013 Yunnan Sourcing Ripe Pu-erh and Snow Chrysanthemum Tea Mini Cake? I bought it via Tealyra who resells it, but it’s a YS branded cake. Pretty nice, and I’ll post a tasting note when I get back into my ripes. Anyhow, after a few steeps it also gives a dill pickle aroma and flavor— not just a “note”, but a full-on waltz! So yeah, snow chrysanthemums… interesting stuff!

Roswell Strange

TeaEarleGreyHot – I haven’t, but I’ll add it to me list to check out next time I place a YS order! I got a pretty big mix of snow chrystanthemum stuff in an old order – my favourite is still Drunk on Red though. I can see it being an excellent compliment to shou though!

Comments

Michelle

TeaEarleGreyHot

Roswell Strange

Hello! My name is Kelly, though many people in the tea community call me Ros or Roswell.

I am a mid-twenties tea addict, blogger, and all around nerd. I grew up in the Prairies, but a few years ago I relocated to Quebec to pursue a career with DAVIDsTEA in the tea industry! I’m still working on getting my French language skills down…

My first introduction to tea, in any form outside of instant and bottled iced tea, was about seven years ago when I happened to stumble upon DAVIDsTEA while looking for a birthday present for a friend! I tried their Birthday Cake rooibos blend, and I’ve been hooked on tea ever since! In those seven years; I was introduced to the online tea community, expanded my interest in flavoured teas to include a deep love and appreciation for straight teas and traditional brewing methods, got a tea themed tattoo, started reviewing teas, amassed a sizable tea and teaware collection, became a TAC certified Tea Sommelier, & even came full circle by beginning a career in the tea industry with DAVIDsTEA!

I consider myself a Jack of all Teas, and strive to have a knowledge and appreciation of all tea types, formats, and styles of drinking. I don’t like to feel boxed in to just being a “flavoured tea” or “straight tea” drinker – my expectations may vary depending on the type of tea or how it’s been processed/prepared but if it’s good tea, it’s good tea no matter how it’s been made!

You name it, I probably drink it- and I’ll absolutely try anything at least once.

My default method of preparation is hot, Western style, and straight – but I’m not opposed to additions if I’m in the right mood. If I ever add something to a tea or use a different method of preparation I will ALWAYS call it out in the tasting note though.

I like to listen to music when drinking tea, especially when I’m brewing a large pot at a time or steeping Gongfu. Often I curate very intentional tea and music pairings, and sometimes I share them here in my tasting reviews. Music is something that I find can deeply affect the experience of having tea.

I’m also one half of the “tea and fandom” podcast GeekSteep where, weekly, we discuss newly explored fandoms over tea as well as try to figure out the perfect tea to pair with each fandom. You can find us on Spotify and Apple & Google podcasts.

Favourite flavour notes/ingredients: Pear, lychee, cranberry, cream, melon, pineapple, malt, roasty, petrichor, sweet potato, heady florals like rose, hazelnut or walnut, sesame, honey (in moderation), and very woody shou.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strongly spiced profiles (and most Chai in general), mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, stevia, saltiness or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Please contact me at the instagram account listed below if you would like me to review your teas.

Currently I’m employed in the tea department of the DAVIDsTEA head office. While I’m still sharing my own personal thoughts on new & existing DAVIDsTEA blends, I am no longer numerically rating them due to the obvious conflict of interest. Any comments expressed are a reflection of my own thoughts and opinions, and do not reflect the thoughts and opinions of the company. Any DAVIDsTEA blends you currently see with a numeric score were reviewed prior to my being hired there and have not been adjusted since becoming a DAVIDsTEA employee.

Montreal, QC, CA