drank Black Metallic by August Uncommon Tea

I’m beyond excited to try this violet tea, a generous gift from amandastory516. I don’t remember ever having had violet before, so Amanda also sent some violet candies for me to try so that I can distinguish the flavor. The candies are delicious, immensely floral with an almost licorice sweetness in the aftertaste that I actually enjoyed. I’m generally not a fan of licorice, but it worked so well with the other flavors.

I waited for the weekend so I could take the time to enjoy this tea fully. I can taste the same flavors here that I noticed in the candies. Not quite as floral but I can tell that the primary flavor is the same. I don’t taste the blackberry or the smoke (would have liked more smoke maybe), but if I hadn’t known it was supposed to be there I wouldn’t have missed it. A unique and delicious tea, one I think I’ll keep around. Thanks, Amanda!

Flavors: Drying, Floral, Violet

Boiling 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
amandastory516

I’m glad you got to try it!

Shae

Me too! Thank you!

Comments

amandastory516

I’m glad you got to try it!

Shae

Me too! Thank you!

Lifetime student. Lover of books and paper and ink. Kitchen dweller. Aspiring herbalist, excessively proud cat lady, and tea fanatic. Thirty-something elder millennial. She/her.

I love flavored black teas most of all, always with cream and honey. I prefer to sweeten my tea as it seems to bring out the flavor. I enjoy floral and fruity teas, as well as flavored or scented ones. I’m not overly fond of green or white teas, but I’ve found a few that I enjoy.

I’m open to tea swaps and/or just sharing what’s in my tea cabinet! Please reach out if you see something I have that you’d like to try. I do my best to update my cupboard regularly.

It will take me longer than usual to get to the post office while we’re in the midst of this pandemic, but I would still love to send you something next time I’m out and about!

Favorites
Any and all black teas, smoky teas, raspberry, strawberry, red fruits, bergamot, chai spices, floral teas, caramel/toffee, jasmine, rose, vanilla, peaches, plums, valerian root, cinnamon, cardamom

Not a huge fan
Lime, white teas, green teas, artificial sweeteners, sarsaparilla, licorice, lemongrass, lavender, hot hibiscus, hibiscus in black tea blends

Rating Scale

1-20: By far, one of the worst teas I’ve tasted. I most certainly will not finish my cup and will likely “gift” the rest to my sweet husband, James, who almost always enjoys the teas I dislike (and vice versa).

21-49: This tea is not good but if I mix it with another tea or find another steeping method I might be able to finish it.

50-70: This one is just okay. I might drink it again if someone were to give it to me, but I probably won’t be buying more for myself.

71-79: This is a consistently good tea. It’s reliable but not necessarily special.

80-90: This one is a notch above the rest and I would gladly enjoy a cup of it any day of the week. I’ll likely be keeping this in my cupboard, but it isn’t one of my all-time favorites.

91-95: One small change and this tea would be perfect. I’ll definitely have a stash of this in my kitchen if you come over for tea.

96-100: No words can describe this tea. It’s an experience, an aha moment. Closed eyes, wide smile, encompassing warmth. Absolutely incredible. Perfect.

Currently reading: