S is for… Squirrely.

My phone is away for the day and I’m spending this Sunday sitting outside with a small pile of books and a cup of tea. I asked Michelle if I could try this one and she sent several cups worth. I’m so glad now that I’ve tried it because it’s delicious. Strong maple/maple candy aroma before steeping. Solid base and caramel flavor. It’s very rich, full-bodied, and overall a well-rounded blend.

Second Steep
6 ounces water + 212 degrees + 20 minutes

The second steep smells of tobacco, so I think much of the flavoring may have been used up in the first steep and now the base is free to shine a bit more.

No, I take that back – I can still taste the caramel in this second steep!

Flavors: Candy, Caramel, Maple Syrup, Tobacco

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML
Michelle

I don’t drink this one very often, but I am always pleasantly surprised. I do keep restocking it from Adagio, so I must really like it ;)

Shae

I really enjoyed it! I haven’t placed an order with Adagio in a while, but I’m planning to add a pouch of this one the next time around. Thanks letting me try it. :)

Comments

Michelle

Shae

Lifetime student. Lover of books and paper and ink. Kitchen dweller. Aspiring herbalist, excessively proud cat lady, and tea fanatic. Thirty-something elder millennial. She/her.

I love flavored black teas most of all, always with cream and honey. I prefer to sweeten my tea as it seems to bring out the flavor. I enjoy floral and fruity teas, as well as flavored or scented ones. I’m not overly fond of green or white teas, but I’ve found a few that I enjoy.

I’m open to tea swaps and/or just sharing what’s in my tea cabinet! Please reach out if you see something I have that you’d like to try. I do my best to update my cupboard regularly.

It will take me longer than usual to get to the post office while we’re in the midst of this pandemic, but I would still love to send you something next time I’m out and about!

Favorites
Any and all black teas, smoky teas, raspberry, strawberry, red fruits, bergamot, chai spices, floral teas, caramel/toffee, jasmine, rose, vanilla, peaches, plums, valerian root, cinnamon, cardamom

Not a huge fan
Lime, white teas, green teas, artificial sweeteners, sarsaparilla, licorice, lemongrass, lavender, hot hibiscus, hibiscus in black tea blends

Rating Scale

1-20: By far, one of the worst teas I’ve tasted. I most certainly will not finish my cup and will likely “gift” the rest to my sweet husband, James, who almost always enjoys the teas I dislike (and vice versa).

21-49: This tea is not good but if I mix it with another tea or find another steeping method I might be able to finish it.

50-70: This one is just okay. I might drink it again if someone were to give it to me, but I probably won’t be buying more for myself.

71-79: This is a consistently good tea. It’s reliable but not necessarily special.

80-90: This one is a notch above the rest and I would gladly enjoy a cup of it any day of the week. I’ll likely be keeping this in my cupboard, but it isn’t one of my all-time favorites.

91-95: One small change and this tea would be perfect. I’ll definitely have a stash of this in my kitchen if you come over for tea.

96-100: No words can describe this tea. It’s an experience, an aha moment. Closed eyes, wide smile, encompassing warmth. Absolutely incredible. Perfect.

Updated July 2021.