Another from Teavivre’s sample sale. This one doesn’t seem to get much love. The leaves are probably the longest leaves I’ve ever seen, in mostly black with hints of gold. That feat alone should gain the tea some points. It does for me. Sipping the cup, I’m not finding any negative qualities or flavors that would give this a lower rating. If anything, there isn’t anything distinct about it, but it’s still tasty enough. The second steep resulted in a bit of an astringent cup, but that is my fault. I should have realized that the leaves were so big and the amount of leaves I used would make the flavor a bit bitey. But I like a stronger cup of tea anyway. The second cup was very dark and had a bready quality to it. It’s actually surprising that the tea became slightly astringent since this is the opposite of a tiny leafed tea. The only thing I could think of for the lower rating is the high expectations for Teavivre teas and that possibly this one isn’t as special as the other black teas they offer. Less detailed and distinct flavors maybe. But the tea is entirely acceptable to me. It probably would be better than most teas that another tea shop might sell, but that is just proving the great quality that Teavivre delivers.
Steep #1 // 2/3 sample pouch for a full mug// 16 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep