Somehow I haven’t tried this one before. I grabbed it during the black tea sample sale. The leaves here are huge and mostly black, which is odd to me for a Dian Hong. But I’m willing to try it! So the leaves are definitely different than the Yun Nan Dian Hong – Full Leaf, as those are gold and black. But this tea also looks like huge “full leaves” to me! The scent of the dry leaf is very much like a freshly harvested field of hay. Either the two teaspoons was too much, or the three minute steep was too long, as this has a little more astringency than I’d prefer. But I’ll like it even more when I adjust the parameters. It’s a unique one…. I wouldn’t say it tastes like the other Dian Hongs that Teavivre carries. It’s certainly a different flavor profile. The cup is dark and I’m tasting flavors of coffee, that dried hay, flowers, malt, and something fruity about it. It’s almost like an Assam tea. It has a HINT of the fruit flavor that is in the incomparable Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild Tree which makes since if it’s also a Dian Hong. The leaves actually look very similar, except the Nonpareil has a slight red color to the leaves. But there the comparisons end, as the flavor of the Nonpareil is very light and this tea couldn’t be deeper and stronger. I’m actually very surprised that such a dark brew resulted from these huge leaves. I was expecting a very light cup. If you like your teas strong, this is one to try and it’s quite affordable! I would certainly stock up.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug // 19 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // 3 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Harvest: 2018

Kittenna

One day, I’ll make a teavivre order and pick up all sorts of samples of things like this! Sounds delicious.