Additional notes: This one is much lighter than harvests from years ago that I’ve tried. I wouldn’t choose this one, as I like the deep chocolate of past harvests. It seems like the Yun Nan Dian Hong Black is now the flavor profile that this was in past harvests, so I’d choose that one. The rating now would probably be an 83. (Harvest: 2018)

Overview of the 2018 unflavored Yunnan Dian Hong varieties from Teavivre when brewed Western style with similar parameters:
All across the board there are lovely qualities from each Yunnan Dian Hong that Teavivre offers, from the highest quality to the low, all of them have different flavor profiles.
The most similar in flavors (meaning I wouldn’t need to stock up on BOTH teas):
1)Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Tree & Yunnan Gongfu Fragrant black (both tasting like Assam by the second steep) Between these two harvests, I’d choose the Fragrant for the squashy flavor that also reminds me of a Ruby varietal this time around. If I tried the next harvest, I might choose the other one. It all depends!
2) Yun Nan Dian Hong Black & Yun Nan Dian Hong Full Leaf (These are very similar, but the Full Leaf is much lighter in flavor. ) The Yun Nan Dian Hong – Golden Tip could also almost fall among these two, and the flavor is medium depth, between the other two. Surprising, because past Full Leaf harvests were very dark chocolate. I’d choose to stock up on the Yun Nan Dian Hong Black.
3) And the Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild Tree will ALWAYS be a special tea to me, no matter the harvest, even if some of the harvests are ‘peaches and creamier’ less than the other harvests. So keeping three in stock seems like the best option for me, but again, harvests change, even steep sessions change. Overall, most of the Yun Nan Dian Hongs have a vast difference in flavors and I love comparing them. (This is why I LOVE Teavivre’s samples!) And with the 2018 harvests across the board, they seem to have a lighter flavor than past harvests, but I could have changed my steeping parameters over the years.
2019 Sipdowns: 60 (one pouch of 52teas Black Silk Chocolate Milk)

Leafhopper

I should bookmark this for future reference. Which ones perform the best gongfu, and are they comparable to YS’s black teas?

tea-sipper

Sorry Leafhopper, I have zero knowledge on how these are gongfu. I’m Western steeping all the time.

Leafhopper

That’s okay. I’m sure I could find this out with a bit of research.

Comments

Leafhopper

tea-sipper

Leafhopper

That’s okay. I’m sure I could find this out with a bit of research.

Some of my favorite tea shops (still operating):
birdandblendtea.com

joysteaspoon.com
tealiciousllc.com
Rivertea
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), turmeric, bee pollen, charcoal type flavors

My ratings: