drank The Vanilla Earl by teakruthi

Thanks so much for the samples, Teakruthi!  I felt terrible with my internet down not being able to get to reviews of teas from various tea shops.  It seems like I acquired quite a handful before my computer broke.  And then I feel like my chlorine sink water is ruining teas, so I really would like to figure that out before I’m posting reviews of teas.  However, I feel like I should do a couple, as it has been a while!
I was all in for a vanilla Earl Grey!  There seems to be many flower petals here… maybe too many… certainly more flower petals in my sample than the photo.  I do like my Earls brisk, and this Ceylon may be a little too light for my tastes, even with closer to two teaspoons.  I have certainly had worse bergamot teas, but this one seems more like lemon.  Sadly, not much noticeable vanilla in the fragrance or flavor.   As the tea cools, it is more of a smoky flavor somehow, with the bergamot turning to a lemon rind sort of flavor.  Somehow the tea and lemon are stronger, when the cup is cold?  But not astringent.  The second steep is stronger and more to my tastes.  Earl Greys are difficult to please, as well as vanilla teas, so with the added difficulty of both of these types of difficult to make perfect for me, this one is tough to love.  It’s not a bad cup, anyhow!
Steep #1 // 1 3/4 teaspoons for a full mug // 14 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled  // 3-4 minute steep

I’m eyeing a couple teas on DAVIDStea’s sale (Chagas, Movie Night, Cookie Dough) , but they already took down Sweet Potato Pie!  The day after Thanksgiving?!?!  I really like that Birch Gold Dipped mug too…

Roswell Strange

Not sure about the mug, but we sold out of Sweet Potato Pie (which is why it disappeared from the site).

tea-sipper

Sweet Potato Pie must have been a REALLY good one. haha

MadHatterTeaDrunk

An odd note in an Earl Grey, but it sounds intriguing, to say the least.

Comments

Roswell Strange

tea-sipper

Sweet Potato Pie must have been a REALLY good one. haha

MadHatterTeaDrunk

An odd note in an Earl Grey, but it sounds intriguing, to say the least.

Some of my favorite tea shops (still operating):
birdandblendtea.com

joysteaspoon.com
tealiciousllc.com
Rivertea
Specialteas

My dislikes: hibiscus, ginger (unless in chai), turmeric, bee pollen, charcoal type flavors

My ratings:
95-100 – Super awesome deliciousness favorites – cupboard essential
80-95 – Also pretty delicious
65-80 – Pretty good
50-65 – Okay
1-50 – Probably won’t want to sip it again

I’m planning on being a Steepsterer as long as there IS a Steepster, so if you’re not hearing from me, that means something happened to my health… if you know what I mean. (Or as evidenced by the great computer hiatus of 2019, something happened to my computer.) :D

Happy sipping!